Monday, May 21, 2012

Honey Applesauce Muffins

 
     I can't believe it's monday already! sometimes the days seem to creep by so slowly and then other times we zoom through an entire month in no time. I'm currently typing this entry out with the ceiling fan on..That's right my friends..we've got some serious heat going on over here. Now if I told you what the actual temp was you would totally make fun of me..but you have to realise that this country is not used to anything above 70 on a regular basis so when we do get warmer temps,the humidty comes out in bucket loads and the ceiling fan gets turned on. I am so not complaining because in no time at all the rain will be rolling in again. I've been busy the last few days with weeding and mowing and bike riding. It feels good to be getting out again and enjoying the wonderful countryside we have.

So it's monday and that means..Muffins! Here is my latest installment for Muffin Monday. I am officially over the honey applesauce combo. I love it but I've been eating way to many muffins with those two ingredients in them. It's time for some chocolate muffins or streusel topped muffins..stay tuned for one of those next week :) I've got ice cream recipes coming up,sorbets and healthy dinner options!

These muffins are super moist and at 185 calories for each one..you can totally enjoy it without guilt. You could add nuts to this recipe and I think it would be great. I went ahead and added in apple pie spice to bump the flavor up a bit...and because we don't always need 12 muffins, this recipe only makes 6 big and fluffy muffins.

Honey Applesauce Muffins

1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Apple Pie Spice;optional
1/3 cup Honey
2 TBSP Canola Oil
1 Large Egg
1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1 tsp. Vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Lightly grease a 6 cup muffin pan and set aside.

In a medium bowl,whisk together the flour,baking soda,salt, and apple pie spice. In a small bowl,combine the honey,oil,egg,applesauce and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined. Divide batter evenly into cups.

Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for a few minutes before removing and allowing to cool on wire rack.

One muffin has 185 calories

Yield: 6 Muffins
Source: Versatile Vegetarian Kitchen



5 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Yum! How's your green house garden coming this year? We have had the AC on all weekend in the high 80's plus humidity.....yikes what happen to spring we are into summer now! Have a wonderful Monday!

Coleens Recipes said...

These sound like they would be a big hit with my grandsons, thanks.

Traci Birch said...

Was thinking of making these today and I notice that the name says honey but there is none in the recipe... Is there supposed to be?

Traci Birch said...

Was thinking of making these today and I notice that the name says honey but there is none in the recipe... Is there supposed to be?

Sonya said...

Whoops! there is! 1/3 cups worth..thanks for catching that!