Friday, May 4, 2012

Homemade Hamburger Buns

  
         Happy Friday Everyone!  What a quick week this was! I spent the better part of it biking,sunning myself and baking. We had an excellent week weather wise and I can't tell you how much I needed it. A little sun on the face does wonders!

The older I get the more I enjoy the simple things in life. Like bread baking. I really wish I could of calmed down enough to teach myself back in my 20's but I was so busy being rushed and stressed that finding time to breath took planning. Now that I'm heading towards 38 I realise the importance of just taking a moment,learning something new, and then practicing over and over. The simple joy that bread baking brings me is crazy. I rush out when I see my husband come home from work and smile stupidly as I tell him that I just whipped up a fresh batch of hamburger buns. My two sons repeat over and over..you made these and start calling dibs on the left overs. That pretty much rocks my world and makes my heart swell.



This recipe comes from King Arthur and I can not say enough positive things about that website. All of the bread recipes that I have tried ( like the Yeasted Banana Sandwich Bread) have turned out beautifully. The directions are straight forward and alot of the time they come with step by step photos.

When I read through the recipe it stated that it made 8 large hamburger buns but you could also pick between 12 regular sized ones and 24 sliders. You can go with the 8 large buns if you don't mind the fact that they will bake up to the size of a toddlers head! When I saw the risen dough I knew instantly that I would go for the 12. I'm glad I did because these were the perfect size.

The only thing I would change would be to leave out the second brusing of melted butter on top. I didn't like the greasy film it left once cooled.

Hamburger Buns

3/4-1 cup Lukewarm Water **
2 TBS Butter,softened
1 Large Egg
3-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
1/4 cup Sugar
1-1/4 tsp. Salt
1 TBS Instant Yeast
** For best results ( a smooth,slightly soft dough), use the smaller amount of water in summer (or in a humid environment),the greater amount in winter ( or a dry climate) and something in between for the rest of the time. I needed the full one cup.
Topping:
3 TBS Melted Butter

You can make this by hand or stand mixer. I always prefer to use a bowl,wooden spoon and then knead it by hand. Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients. If using a standmixer,knead the dough for about 7 minutes using the dough hook. If kneading by hand, it's about 10 minutes. Place dough in lightly greased bowl,cover with cling film and allow to risein a draft free spot for 1-2 hours,or until doubled in bulk ( my kitchen was warm and it took one hour.)

Gently deflate the dough,and divide into 12 pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball ( take the time to smooth these guys out by rolling them under your gently cupped fingers.) You can find step by step photos HERE. Flatten balls to about 3 inches across. Place on lightly greased or parchment lined cookie sheet,cover with plastic wrap thats been lightly spread with nonstick spray ( you don't want the dough to stick to the plastic wrap!) and let rise for about an hour,until noticeable puffy


Brush the buns with half of the melted butter. Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Bake 12-15 mins for 12 buns, 15-18 for 8 buns and 12-15 for sliders. Remove from oven and brush tops with remaining melted butter. Cool buns on rack.

Yield: 8,12 or 24
Source: King Arthur Flour

 



3 comments:

May said...

Looks like we are very much alike when it comes to rushing out to greet the husband and then promptly tell about our new cooking experiment...:D :D :D :D
The weather has been simply gorgeous this side. But instead of taking it all in, I have been airing out the house and all other stuff which need sun like crazy!! I think I really need to slow down...

Formerly known as Frau said...

Omg....they look delish! I would fight for the leftovers too! Have a wonderful weekend!

a happy little life said...

i stand by my original comment..
lady you got some beautiful buns!!!

they really are wonderful and i would like to give these a try with tops rolled in toasted sesame seeds :D
lovely!