Thursday, May 10, 2012

Good-Morning Granola

  
           I know I promised an update this week on a few things. I haven't forgotten and promise to put up a post about it tomorrow.Today however, I need to do a cheerier post. Tomorrow I will do an update on the language class and how I, a small town girl,was able to single - handedly shut down a language class based on the simple fact that I was an American. 

Let's talk granola. I don't think I have ever met a granola I didn't like. I think it's pretty hard to actually mess a granola recipe up. You can swap out and add in ingredients that you prefer over others and can use all kinds of spices to jazz it up. I think the only type of granola I have never tried would be chocolate..and you just know I'm going to have to fix that one and blog about it as soon as possible. I may have to start a Muffin Monday and a Granola Thursday. Who's with me!!

This granola does not disappoint. It's crunchy,it's chewy and it's not half bad calorie wise. We love it sprinkled on top of low fat yogurt,ice cream AND we enjoyed this in a muffin recipe..yep,another muffin recipe coming your way that uses homemade granola..Ain't life grand?  :) The only thing I had to change was the dried cherries..I have yet to find those here and I wish I could. I bet they taste amazing.

Good-Morning Granola

4 cups Old-Fashioned or Quick Cooking Oats
1/2 cup Toasted Wheat Germ
1/2 cup Sliced Almonds
2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1/2 cup Honey 
2 tsp. Canola Oil
1 tsp. Vanilla Exract
1 cup Dried Cherries
1 cup Dried Cranberries


Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Lightly grease a 15x10 inch pan with nonstick spray and set aside.


In a large bowl,combine the first 5 ingredients;set aside. In a saucepan,combine the orange juice,honey and canola oil. Bring to a boil,stirring constantly. Remove from heat;stir in vanilla. Pour over oat mixture and using a wooden spoon, mix until everything is combined and thoroughly coated.


Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown,stirring every 10 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack. Stir in dried fruits. Store in airtight container.


1/2 cup has 206 calories.


Yield: 15 servings
Source: Taste of Home