Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream

   
        For Mother's Day I received 3 new cookbooks..I also received these cookbooks several days prior to the actual day because I knew my husband and sons were hoping for a sweet treat that sunday :) One of the cookbooks was one I have been waiting to get for ages and ages. It's called The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz. The man is pure genius when it comes to ice cream making. As I turned the pages my excitement grew and grew. I will happily be spending all of the seasons churning out ice cream,sorbets,granitas,sherbets and the perfect pairings to go with each one. There are recipes for add ins and homemade cookie cups,ice cream cones and several other items to hold your creamy dessert. I'm in ice cream heaven!!

I'm happy to share the first recipe we tried and devoured on mother's day. It's a simple chocolate peanut butter ice cream that uses half and half cream. I took it one step further by going with a suggested add in of peanut butter patties. I also went ahead and used Speculoos spread..I believe my American friends willl call it Biscoff. We've had this stuff for years and years over here and it's amazing. I could of also gone with a chocolate fudge swirl and totally plan to try that next time! I will include both the ice cream and the peanut butter patties recipe.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream w/ Peanut Butter Patties

2 cups ( 500ml) Half-and-Half
1/4 cup (25g) Unsweetened Dutch-process Cocoa Powder
1/2 cup (100g) Sugar
Pinch Salt
1/2 cup (130g) Smooth Peanut Butter or Biscoff/Speculoos

Whisk together the half-and-half,cocoa powder,sugar,and salt in a alrge saucepan. Heat mixture,whisking frequently, until it comes to a full,rolling boil ( it will start to foam up and that is ok!.) Remove from heat and whisk in the peanut butter, stirring until thoroughly blended.

Chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Peanut Butter Patties

6 TBS (90g) Peanut  Butter..smooth or crunchy
2 TBS Powdered Sugar

Mix together the peanut butter and sugar in small bowl. Line a dinner plate with plastic wrap. Pinch of small pieces of the peanut butter mixture, about 1/2 teaspoon each, drop them onto dinner plate. Once you've used all of the mix, freeze the patties. 

Fold the peanut butter patties into the ice cream as you remove it from the machine.

Yield: About 1 liter of ice cream
Source: The Perfect Scoop