Monday, May 28, 2012

Blueberry Whole Wheat Muffins

  
  
       Happy Muffin Monday! I hope everyone had a great weekend..I believe it's a three day weekend for most Americans due to it being Memorial Day. I sometimes..well not sometimes but more often then not I forget about alot of the holidays now. I still remember the major ones but everything else in between I am aware of at the last minute. I miss home..I hope someone out there enjoys a wonderful bbq and eats an extra helping of potato salad and chicken for me!

Lastweek was a crazy one for us. I'm constantly aware of how fragile life can be. How you can visit with someone and in a few short hours you are pushing your car to the limit trying to get to them quickly because something life threatening has gone wrong. The rest of the week is spent running errands,visiting and praying that all will be well. I'm happy to say that our prayers were answered and all is indeed well.

When I'm stressed I bake. I whipped these up in the middle of the night when the house was cooler ( oh yes my friends,we are still on one awesome weather streak) and served them for breakfast the following day. It's a no frills blueberry muffin recipe and I kinda like that. I added in some whole wheat and the cinnamon in this recipe added a really nice touch. You could add in some lemon zest if you want and if you don't like the zest,add in about 1/4 tsp of lemon extract. We all loved how moist and fluffy these were..I say were because they are long gone now!

Blueberry Muffins

2 cups All-purpose Flour..I used half whole wheat
3/4 cup Sugar
1 TBS Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup Buttermilk
1 Egg,lightly beaten
1/4 cup Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil
1 cup Fresh or Frozen Blueberries ( if using frozen do not thaw and toss the berries in a little bit of flour to stop them from sinking in the batter)

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin and set aside.

In a large bowl,whisk together the flour,sugar,baking powder,baking soda,cinnamon, and salt. In a medium bowl,whisk together the buttermilk,egg and oil. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined. Gently fold in blueberries.

Fill the muffin cups evenly with batter and bake for 20-24 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.


One muffin has 188 calories


Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: Taste of Home