Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Yeasted Banana Sandwich Bread


        Sometimes I'm seriously amazed with the internet and what you can find on there. I had honestly never heard of a yeasted banana bread! In fighting back with always getting to ripe of fruit here,I was on mission to use the bananas anyway I could. I had already baked muffins with a few of them and now I wanted something totally different. I could of easily gone with a regular banana bread recipe..and I did and will be sharing that recipe soon..but I wanted to first share this one first because..seriously..you can bake a yeasted banana sandwich bread!

I had no idea as to what this bread was going to taste like and if it was even going to turn out. I am not the best at rolling up my dough into a tight loaf yet and I worried that I didn't get the bananas smashed up enough into the dough. I'm happy to say that not only did it taste fantastic but I managed to roll it tightly enough to produce a wonderful looking loaf of bread:) The bread itself does not scream of banana flavor..but that's not to say that you won't beable to taste it right away. It's more of a subtle hint and we all agreed that the crust had alot of the banana flavor. The bread was moist and and was gone within a day. We really loved it toasted with peanut butter smeared on it. I was going to make french toast with it but we ate it to fast. I will be making this super easy loaf over and over again. The King Arthur Website provides step by step photos of the instructions so head over there if you need additional help!

Yeasted Banana Sandwich Bread

1 cup Lukewarm Milk
3 cups Bread Flour OR All-Purpose Flour
2 TBS Unsalted Butter,room temperature
2-1/4 tsp. Instant Yeast
1 tsp. Salt
2 TBS Honey
1 medium sized Banana,cut into chunks,about 3/4 cup

In a large mixing bowl,or in the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all of the ingredients to form a shaggy dough. Knead the dough by hand on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes or in a mixer for 5 minutes. You may need to add more flour as you knead..you are looking for a smooth soft dough with a little tackiness to it. Place dough into a lightly greased bowl, and allow to rest for one hour in a warm spot.

Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and shape into a tightly rolled up log. Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan and place dough inside loaf pan. Cover the pan with a lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the dough to rise for 45 mins to 1 hour,until it's full and rounded ( mine reached that by 30 minutes.)

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 degrees and make sure the rack is in the middle position. Bake bread for 35-40 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 190 F. I do not own one of those so I thumped the bottom and when it sounded hollow I knew it was done. If the bread is browning to quickly,tent the loaf with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking.

Turn loaf out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.

*** I used All-purpose Flour in this recipe because the bread flour in The Netherlands already comes with yeast in it and that drives me nuts. I never know if there is enough yeast in there to use in regular recipes. So for now I always use all-purpose flour and it turned out fantastic!**

Yield: 1- 8x4 inch loaf
Source: King Arthur Flour






Food Holiday Link Party