Friday, April 20, 2012

Placement Test Baked Cake Doughnuts

 
        On wednesday I had my placement test for the language class. I actually wasn't nervous about this because I knew this wasn't some big to-do sort of thing. You take these placement tests to figure out which level of learning works best for you and that way you don't end up in a higher level class if you work best in a medium level. Everyone I spoke to about the test all had different explanations. There was some who never had to take one and the majority was of those who had to take an hour long test on the computer.  The letter I received said to expect an hour long test and thats when I knew I would be getting the computer one aswell.

I show up with my husband because I'm 5 years old and can't do anything without him over here. The letters I receive are in Dutch and all the meetings I need to go to..are in Dutch. So there is no point in me going alone when they may or may not feel like speaking english to me on that day. The same woman I had to speak with 2 weeks before then is the one giving me the test. We go into the same room we spoke to before and she hands me a booklet. A booklet? I was expecting a computer test. The booklet only has 6 pages and she tells me to read the two sentences in english that explain what Im supposed to do. Then I panick. The test is one of those what comes next,put these in the box they belong in,tricky questions  that leave the door wide open for you to you know.. get wrong.  

I turn the page and notice that she isn't leaving. The room is small and she is sitting directly infront of me and she isn't leaving! Not only is she not leaving but she starts talking to me. Why is she not gone but still talking to me? You understand everything,yes? she says to me over and over. Yes I understand. I am one of those people that likes to take a minute and think before I do a test..but she won't stop talking. I should also tell you that the practice questions are 5000 times easier to get than the actual test questions. So it's then that I start to go into overload. My brain starts to kick in and it's talking nonstop to me. You are 37 and sitting in a dinky room with a 20 year old who won't shut up,keeps staring and you and wants to know if  you get it.  Then it starts running through the alphabet because thats what my brain does when it really goes into overload. I'm looking at the questions and nothing is making sense..it's as if I have no common sense..Thats not a total shock mind you, but I like to think that I am not a total ding a ling. The woman however has her doubts because the more she is watching me the more she won't shut up and the more I keep thinking I'm doing this wrong or why else would she keep asking me if I get it. I do one page and then other and I skip one whole page altogether and she keeps saying..People really over analyze these tests and there is no need to. It's then that I know I'm not only doing this all wrong but I'm going to kill her. I was going into total nuclear meltdown on the inside and I no longer cared. I finished the test and listened to her tell me that atleast I didn't get in lower level! Like I freaking cared at that point. I never once cared what level I was going to be in aslong as I got into a class that worked best for me.

So, 25 sweaty-I'm going to smack you-minutes later, I leave with my signed contract of agreeing to do the classes and now waiting for my next letter that says come on in and lets get you signed up. I swear the amount of letters you get for "invites"to come in and talk with people amazes the crap out of me. I come straight home and head for the kitchen. When I've reached my limit..and it doesn't take much these days to get there..I need to bake something.

These dougnuts are the answer to wanting to eat something super sinful that you will probably pay for later on so you pull yourself back and go for the healthier option. Let me be honest in telling you that healthier baked doughnuts are nothing like the delicious fried doughnuts that are covered in maple icing( I really miss maple bars.) These did hit the spot and put a smile on my face so that alone makes these a winner in my book. Baked doughnuts are best eaten within a day or so because they tend to dry out really fast and don't taste as good. I think next time I will add a tiny amount of butter extract to give the doughnuts more of a flavor.

Baked Cake Doughnuts with Chocolate Glaze

2 cups Cake Flour,sifted ( or use 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour with 1/4 cup cornstarch)
1/2 cup Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
3/4 cup Fat Free Milk
1 TBS White Vinegar
2 Large Eggs,lightly beaten
1 TBS Unsalted Butter,melted

Chocolate Glaze

1/2 cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
2 tsp. Corn Syrup
1 TBS Canola Oil
1 tsp. Water

Preheat oven to 425 or 220 celcius ( I thought this was to high and lowered the oven temp to 400 or 200 celcius and made sure the oven rack was on the lower level.) Grease a doughnut pan with nonstick spray and set aside.

In a small bowl,combine the milk and vinegar and let stand 5 minutes to turn into buttermilk. In a large bowl,sift together the flour,sugar,baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whish together the buttermilk,eggs and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until combined. Carefully spoon batter into the doughnut pan about 2/3 full. Bake 7-8 minutes, or until the tops of the doughnutsspring back when lightly touched. Allow to cool in pan for a few minutes before removing and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.

For the glaze, microwave all the ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl on 50% power 1 minute,stirring in-between,until melted. ** I never have luck with melting chocolate in the microwave so I combined the ingredients in a small pan and cooked it on low while stirring constantly until it was melted** Add additional water in 1/2 teaspoon measurments if the glaze is to thick. Dip the tops of each doughnut into the glaze and allow to dry on wire rack. Sprinkle the tops if you like!

Yield: 18 Doughnuts..106 calories for each one
Source:PreventionRD



5 comments:

cutekittypunk said...

So is it for the imburgerings exam? i had to do that too... at least i didn't have to pay for it though. I took classes through the ROC/ster college. it was a pretty good class and I finished within a year. There are several tests you have to pass. I passed all but one... one was a listening and repeat back what you hear and it was difficult for me, and you do it on the phone and you can't ask them to slow down or please repeat or anything... but as long as you know what to expect it's not so bad. the second time i passed it. It's this whole language thing which completely stresses me out about getting a drivers license here. I know you can take the test in English, but still... it's loads more difficult here than in most cities in the U.S. - it really bugs me that i still don't have a license here though.... this year i'm gonna try and get one.

p.s. the donuts look very tempting.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Omg...I would have slapped her! Could you politely say can you please stop talking and let me concentrate! At this point you just need to do whats required I imagine you know and understand a lot it's probably the writing part that is needed. Good luck! Love the donuts.....omg I need one! Have a wonderful weekend!

Sonya said...

Yep it's for the Inburgering exam I will need to take. I heard the phone test was a joke listening wise and alot of people have a hard time understanding what is being said.

I dont think I will ever get my license here! I can only handle so many things at once. I draw the line at remembering dutch,reading dutch signs and trying to drive at the same time! haha

I WANTED to slap her. I dont know why I didnt say anything. I was ina totla overload daze..haha

debbercakes said...

quote= "25 sweaty-I'm going to smack you-minutes later..."

I was reading along rather amused and then this completely cracked me up. LOL!

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds yummy.

So nice to meet you.

-debber

Buckeroomama said...

Oh, I don't I would've been as patient as you'd been... Wow, how in-your-face could she get?

Thanks for sharing the doughnut recipe. Will definitely have to try this one!