Monday, April 2, 2012

Low Fat/Low Sugar Apple-Oatmeal Muffins

   
      I hope everyone had a good weekend! Friday we headed off to Amsterdam for passport renewals for our two sons. When they are younger than 16 you need to get them done every 5 years. I can't believe I am coming up soon on my 5 year anniversary of moving here. Lots of changes going on in my life at this point. It was so much fun heading to the American Consolate office because..well..everyone spoke english :) I saw a big American flag blowing in the wind and I just smiled. I chatted with the soldiers there and actually didn't want to leave!

I knew we would want a snack for the trip back home so I made sure to bring along these muffins. These low fat/low sugar super moist muffins were pretty darn good. I think next time I will add a little more salt and swap the ground cloves out with either more cinnamon or use apple pie or pumpkin pie spice. I was really surprised at how moist these were and they will go into my muffin rotation list.

Apple-Oatmeal Muffins

1 cup All-purpose Flour
2 TBS Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Ground Cloves
1 cup Buttermilk
1 cup Quick Cooking Oats
1 Large Egg,lightly beaten
2 TBS Melted Butter or Canola Oil
1 Medium Apple,peeled,cored and cut into 1/4 inch dice

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Lightly grease muffin tin with nonstick spray,set aside

Combine the buttermilk,eggs,melted butter and oats in small bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix just until combine. Gently mix in diced apples.

Fill muffin tins 2/3 full with batter and bake 12-14 minutes or until toothpick inserted towards center comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few mins in pan before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: My Gourmet Connection   



4 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Five years wow Sonya....time flies! Is it feeling more like home? I was just talking last night how I can't believe this summer it will be four years since moving from Utah....I'm still adjusting to this new life...when will it feel normal again?

Sonya said...

Sadly it does not feel more like home. I have honestly racked my brain on how to make it more like it. It's an odd life being an expat...even when you return back home it's an odd feeling aswell.

I am pushing and forcing myself to get into a better place with living here..I just hope it happens soon.

May said...

Sonya, I will be baking your chocolate brownies and blueberry muffins for our trip to Netherlands...:-) If time permits, will try the focacia too.

Sonya said...

You're going to have a wonderful time here,May!