Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Kidney Bean Burgers

  
           Have I got an awesome vegetarian burger recipe for you! I know alot of people panic when you mention vegetarian anything to them..My husband happens to be one of those people. Oh he will happily eat whatever I serve but the compliments he gives me on veggie items are never as enthusiastic as they would be for a chicken recipe. I'm ok with that. We all have different tastes and likes but I also feel that it's important to be open and willing to try a wide variety of foods.

 I'm constantly amazed how simple ingredients can end up blowing all of your expectations away and leave you smiling and feeling very proud of yourself. I'm an odd one, I know. These burgers are so cheap to make and they are slightly crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. You can eat them with a bun or wrapped in lettuce leaves piled high with ingredients..Thats what my friend Lizzy, over at Lizzy Goes Dutch did when I told her about this recipe. She loved it as much as I did. I gave her the tip of adding in liquid smoke because I felt like it made these burgers that much better. She agreed. Thats the only thing I changed about this recipe.

Kidney Bean Burgers
1-15 ounce can Kidney Beans, drained,rinsed and mashed with a fork
1/4 cup Pecans,coarsly chopped
1/4 cup Onion,finely diced
1 Clove Garlic,minced
1 Egg White
2 TBS Flour ( can use chickpea or oat flour)
2 TBS Chopped Fresh Parsley
1 TBS Ketchup
1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Sweet Yellow Curry Powder..I used regular mild
1/4 tsp. Ground Cumin
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke;optional

In a large bowl, combine the mashed beans and the rest of the ingredients. Mix until thoroughly combined and chill for 15 minutes.

Form into 5 burgers and fry in a pan with a small amount of oil or nonstick cooking spray on medium heat. ** I found the mixture to be super wet and nearly impossible to form into patties. I went ahead and dropped the mixture into the pan and quickly spread it out into a patty shape using the back of the spoon**. I cooked these until I felt like they were heated all the way through so make sure they aren't gooey in the middle!
126 calories per burger

Yield: 5 Burgers
Source: Eating Well...Living Thin(er!)