Friday, April 13, 2012

Ham,Cheese and Onion Crustless Quiche

 
      Believe it or not..this was my first time baking a quiche! I've eaten them plenty of times before but never made one myself. I can asure you that I have been bitten by the crustless quiche and plan on making tons more!

I apologise for the bad photo..It was Easter though and we were hungry. So I snapped a few shots and served the meal. We all loved it and it was super simple to make.

Ham,Cheese and Onion Crustless Quiche

3 TBS Fine Dry Plain Bread Crumbs
1 medium Onion,diced
1-1/2 - 2 cups Diced Cooked Ham
1 TBS Unsalted Butter
2 cups (8ounces) Shredded Cheddar Cheese..or cheese of choice
5 Large Eggs
1 cup Heavy Cream..I used evaporated milk
1 cup Whole Milk..or milk of choice
2-3 Grates of fresh Nutmeg;optional
Fresh Chives on top;optional


Preheat oven to 400 degrees or 200 celcius with oven rack in middle.


Butter quiche dish, and sprinkle all over with bread crumbs.


Cook onions and ham in 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat,stirring occasionally,until pale golden,about 5-8 minutes. Spread in dish,then evenly sprinkle cheese on top.


Whisk together eggs,cream,milk,1/2 teaspoon pepper,nutmeg and pour over cheese. Top with chives if using. 


Bake until golden and custard is set in center, 20-25 minutes( if it's browning to quickly on top and the center is still not set, loosely cover with foil and place back into the oven 5-8 minutes or so) Cool slightly before serving.


** Ok here are my notes. I put the oven rack one position lower and preheated the oven to 375 or 190 celcius. I used nonstick spray and skipped the bread crumb part. I don't know what the usual size quiche pans come in but mine was a 10-inch. I kept an eye on the time and mine was done at 25 minutes. Feel free to leave the ham out if you want a vegetarian option or add in soy crumbles! **


Yield: 4-6 servings..depending on the size of the wedges
Source: Care's Kitchen

 



No comments: