Friday, April 6, 2012

Ham and Spinach Couscous

  
          Happy Friday! Yesterday I had my first appointment for my Dutch language class. I go in on the 17th to take a placement test and I will be on my way to learning Dutch! I would be seriously lying if I told you I was excited about this. I'm not. I don't mind learning the language but I'm not crazy about the process they put you through in order to get your permanent residency card. It's ok though..the outcome will be me being able to speak Dutch and I won't face anymore problems when it comes to immigration. The life of an expat is never dull I tell you!

Now on to my latest recipe! I am really into speedy meals these days and with my language class coming up and volunteering work I will need to do, these types of dishes are really going to come in handy. The recipe alone doesn't give this dish much flavor. I highly suggest adding a bouillon cube to the water to give the couscous more flavor. You could also sautee onions and mushrooms and then add those in aswell..swap the ham out for chicken if you like!

Ham and Spinach Couscous

2 cups Water
1 cup Chopped Fully Cooked Ham
1 cup Chopped Fresh Spinach
1/2 tsp. Garlic Salt
1 cup Uncooked Couscous
1/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Add ins: bouillon to help falvor the water,sauteed onions and mushrooms,additional seasonins of choice.

In a large saucepan, combine the water, ham, spinach and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat;cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and serve with shredded cheese.

** I went ahead and dissolved the bouillon in the water and then added everything else. You could also use chicken stock in place of the water**

Yield: 4-1 cup servings
Source: Taste of Home