Thursday, April 19, 2012

Gluten-Free Chewy Ginger Cookies

  
          I'm not sure what type of weather everyone else is having but the Dutch weather seems to be going back a few steps. It's cold,it's raining,it's pretty much not like spring at all. I say this of course fully knowing that this is not abnormal. We have crappy weather here and thats all there is to it. You'd think after living here for almost 5 years I would be more used to it by now. I don't think I will ever get used to this. Ever.

I'm counting down my last few moments of free time. I have started the process of signing up for language class and that includes volunteering somewhere to help with understanding and speaking of the language better. I'd like to tell you that I'm excited about that part,but I'm not. I'm sure after a few months of learning the language I will be more ready to get myself out there and make crazy mistakes as I offend people with my half-assed ability to speak the basics of it all. There are words in the Dutch language that leave me..at the age of 37 in giggling fits because it's so unnatural for me to say them without expecting someone to come along and smack me upside the head for using that word. It amazes me how one word can mean something totally different in another language and getting myself to say them without a smart ass tone will be very very hard. 

In the meantime I am enjoying as much time in the kitchen as possible. I am bringing you another recipe using almond flour. Seriously if you haven't tried it yet, you really need to. You can get almond flour and almond meal. I love the almond meal more and thats what I used in this recipe. The only difference between the two is that almond meal is ground almonds with the skin left on. I like to use the meal in cookies because you get a chewier texture and more intense almond flavor. These cookies are spicy,chewy and delicious. These would be great around christmas time aswell and remind me of a Dutch cookie called Pepernoten which is the equivalent to pfeffernuse. 

Chewy Ginger Cookies

1-2/3 cup Almond Flour or Meal
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
2 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Cloves
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/8 tsp. Salt
1/4 cup White Sugar
4 TBS Unsalted Butter,melted
1 Egg,whisked

Preheat oven to 300 or 150 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl,whisk all the dry ingredients together expcept for sugar. Add sugar, butter and egg and stir just until combined.

Using either a small cookie scoop or tablespoon,scoop cookie dough balls onto prepared sheet,about 1 inch apart.

Bake 13-15 minutes or until cookies are slightly firm to the touch. Allow to cool for 1 minute before removing cookies to wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 32 small cookies
Source: All Day I Dream About Food