Monday, April 23, 2012

Banana,Buttermilk and Brown Sugar Muffins

 
        Fresh produce blows in The Netherlands. Alot of us expats chat constantly about the overripe moldy pieces of fruit and vegetables we find at the store...and the fact that people..as in me,myself and I continue to buy it makes me really mad. We all know that we are getting screwed over but there is little we can do about it. I spend way more time than I should visiting stores in hopes of spotting fresh fruit that isn't moldy,celery that doesn't bend in half without breaking,potatoes that aren't soft and lettuce that isn't discolored after peeling two layers of it off. I love the open markets here because it's the only time you are able to buy fresh produce directly from the grower alot of the time and everything is fresh,mold-free and tastes amazing!

Bananas seem to be something that is always hit and miss at the store. I can buy a set of bananas that on the outside look firm,the peel has no spots on it and within a day they are bad. So this is me fighting back. I took the 8 bananas and turned them into muffins,two types of banana bread and smoothies. Here is the first recipe I am sharing with you! These are healthier muffins..low in sugar but still have a wonderful taste. These do not beat my Favorite banana muffin recipe but when it comes to low sugar, these are pretty darn tasty. When I baked these muffins up I was taken back by how freaking huge they were. When I looked at the original photo that came with the recipe, his muffins didn't rise as much as mine did. I'm not complaining because I do love me a fatty muffin but incase you notice the same thing..it's alright..fat muffins rock!

Banana Buttermilk and Brown Sugar Muffins

Wet Ingredients

1 cup Buttermilk
1/4 cup Canola Oil or other neutral flavored oil
1 Egg
2 very ripe Bananas
1-inch fresh piece of Ginger,grated OR 1/4 tsp. Dried Ginger
1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon

Dry Ingredients

2-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
2/3 cup Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt

Drizzle Ingredients

1 TBS Melted Butter
1 TBS Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick spray and set aside.

Combine the wet ingredients in a blender and blend on high until very smooth..If you don't want to use a blender like me, then just whisk the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.

In a large bowl,whisk together the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Divide the batter into the muffin cups. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of drizzle over each muffin.

Bake until golden and toothpick inserted comes out clean,about 25 minutes.


Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: Herbivoracious