Monday, April 9, 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip"Cakies"

   
         I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter! It's a 4 day break over here and everyone heads back to work and school tomorrow. We had a really nice meal and I will posting recipes for it this week!

My continuing journey into healthy baking has really been an eye opener when it comes to using bananas. I knew they were great in breads,muffins and cakes but never really took the time to realise they were a perfect replacement for sugar in alot of things. The more ripe the banana is the better chance you have of getting the intense flavor you are wanting in the baked item. I'm not anti sugar at all but love knowing I don't always need sugar to make my baked item taste great.

These cookies..or cakies as they are called are fantastic. They are a cross between a seriously moist cookie that wants to take a step over into the cake side but not willing to make the final jump. I'm a huge soft cookie fan so these guys were perfect for me..and for my family who ate them all within hours of baking them.

Banana Chocolate Chip "Cakies"

1 cup Mashed Ripe Bananas..3 or so depending on size
2 TBS Creamy Almond Butter..I used Peanut Butter
1 TBS Apple Butter..I used Applesauce
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 tsp. Baking Soda..I used 1/2 without any problems
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
Pinch of Salt..I used 1/4 tsp.
1-1/4 cup Almond Flour
1/4 cup Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees or 180 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a bowl, blend togather the banana,almond butter,apple butter,vanilla,baking soda,cinnamon and salt using a hand mixer. Add in flour and chocolate chips and stir to combine.

Using either a 1-1/2 inch ice cream scoop or spoon,drop dough onto prepared sheet.

Bake 11-14 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before removing to wire rack. These guys are super soft so make sure you give them a good 3 minutes to cool down and firm up.

Yield: 18-20 cookies
Source: Multiply Delicious