Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Chocolate Cappuccino Cookies

  
      My husband and two sons laugh now when I show them dessert. They have all noticed that the healthier the item is, the smaller the package is. I suppose thats true. I'm baking some of the smallest cookies on the planet. It's not that I can't bake regular recipes..I can, infact I will be posting those soon, but I like the challenge of finding a recipe that doesn't pack such a high punch in the calorie department. I like saving up my splurge moments and so far as of January I haven't taken any of those moments yet. However, I plan to have a moment around Easter. I am so getting a big chocolate easter egg and plan on consuming the whole thing with a smile on my face. I already warned everyone that they all needed to get something too because there will be no sharing from me :)

So on to these cookies. They are small but their taste is big. They are chewy and chocolatey with a hint of coffee flavor in every bite. We loved them!

Chocolate Cappuccino Cookies

1 TBS Instant Coffee Granules
1 TBS Hot Water
1 Egg White
3/4 cup plus 1 TBS Sugar,divided
1/4 cup Canola Oil
2 TBS Corn syrup
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1-1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
1/2 cup Cocoa..I used Dutch Cocoa
1/4 tsp. Salt 

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. In a small bowl,dissolve coffee granules in hot water. In a large bowl, combine the egg white, 3/4 cup sugar,oil,corn syrup,vanilla and coffee; beat until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to coffee mixture.

Roll into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet ( I always line my cookie sheets with parchment paper), 2 inches apart. Flatten to 1/4 inch thickness with a glass dipped in remaining sugar ( I skipped the addition of sugar and was able to flatten them using a shot glass without any problems).

Bake 5-7 minutes or until center is set. Allow to cool for one minute before removing to wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container.

One cookie equals 43 calories.

Yield: 3-1/2 dozen
Source: Taste of Home Guilt Free Cooking