Friday, March 30, 2012

Cardamom and Lemon Cookies

 
        One of the biggest frustrations I have with living in The Netherlands is the crap t.v. they have here. It's total crap. We get constant reruns of Little House on The Prairie and hey, I'm all for taking a trip back to the good ole' days, but why can't we get up to date shows? they also love showing cancelled ones..I imagine thats because they get a discount on them. When Oprah went off the air, I think we were like almost a year behind with the shows. 

The cooking shows here are either non exsistent or you need to catch them on certain english channels. So far I have watched maybe 10 episodes of Kitchen Boss..seriously I am so sick of hearing Buddy shout out..This is how we do it in Hoboken baby! or..once you try this you will never go back! he needs to stick with cake baking. I do find wonderful cooking and baking shows on the BBC channels! this is where this seriously flavorful,awesome,over the top delicious cookie comes from.

I'm hooked on Hairy Bikers..and no thats not some weird fetish..thats the name of their show. They started a new show called Bakeation ( a play on vacation) They are visiting areas in Europe and trying out their baked items as well as making their own. Thats where these come into play. They went to Norway and these were the cookies they baked. I've never had cardamom before and was knocked over with how delicious the flavor of it is! The longer you let these cookies set the more the flavor mellows and perfectly combines with the lemon zest. They cookies have a texture almost like pecan sandies and they are super simple to bake. The original recipe calls for a cookie stamp but if you are like me and don't have one..use the bottom of a shot glass.. Just make sure to press down to flatten the cookies out a bit.

If I had to change anything about this recipe it would be to add a small hint of salt..other then that, they are total perfection. These are going on my christmas cookie baking list. I hope to find holiday cookie stamps by then. Happy friday everyone!

225 grams Butter,softened..1 cup
150 grams Sugar..2/3 cup cup 
Finely grated zest of one lemon
250 grams All-purpose Flour..2 cups
100 grams Ground Almonds..1 cup..I used almond meal
3 tsp. Ground Cardamom or 1 heaped teaspoon cardamom seeds,ground in pestal and mortar

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl and using an electric handheld mixer, beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the flour,almond flour and cardamom until the mixture is well combined and comes together to form a stiff dough.

Roll the dough into 24 balls and place 12 on the baking sheet,leaving space between each one. Press each cookie with a stamp or bottom of a small glass to flatten.

Bake 12-14 mins or until cookie are pale golden brown. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for a few mins before removing to cool completely on a wire rack. Store in airtight container and eat within 7 days..or within 2 like we did.

Yield: 24 Cookies
Source: The Hairy Bikers



9 comments:

Life with Kaishon said...

These sound delightful. I am SO sorry about your tv shows. My son doesn't want me to get rid of our extended cable package just because he likes the show Little House on the Prarie and it is one of the extended channels. Isn't that funny? : )

Sonya said...

aaww thats so cute though! haha I know all the shows by heart now..and so do my two boys. They groan when they hear the intro music come on..lol

Lizzy said...

Those look amazing and I love that show too! I also love cardamom! I always throw a few pods in when I make basmati rice and it's deeeelish!

Sonya said...

Oh wow Lizzy, I never thought to use it like that! I only have the powder..guess i need to buy the pods now :)

Formerly known as Frau said...

Have you tried online tv-dome.net worked in Germany ! Cookies look delicious! Have a great weekend!

Sonya said...

ooh I will check it out :) hope you have a great weekend too!

Coleens Recipes said...

Thanks for the chuckle...well written....your cookies are begging for a big cup of tea...yum!!

What A Dish! said...

These look soo good- love cardamom & lemon. Are they shortbread-y? Lol about Little House on the Prairie! Here, all of our TV is direct from England so we get a ton of up-to-date stuff. We also watch stuff online (easy to do w/an ip blocker!)

Sonya said...

I honestly don't know if they are shortbread like. I have never eaten one..they remind me of a sandy textured cookie.