Friday, March 9, 2012

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

  
        Happy Friday Everyone!! The sun is out and although it's still rather chilly..the sun is out!! I can't tell you how much I needed this! Dutch winters are so grey that you crave that bright beautiful sunshine that seems to ignore us for months and months.

I've got one more muffin recipe for you and I promise that next week I will have all non muffin recipes to share..unless of course I spot another one thats begging to be made :) I baked these muffins espically for me. They only have 93 calories per serving! I have one for breakfast each morning with my low fat yogurt. The original recipe calls for old fashioned oats..the kind that need to be soaked..not instant. However I didn't have any and went with the instant ones instead. I will include both ways that I made these. They are a slightly spongy muffin but very moist with a simple taste. I sometimes crave more simple flavors and these do the trick.

I hope everyone has a great weekend..I'm hoping to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather!

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

1 cup Old Fashioned Oats ( Not Instant)
1 cup non Fat Milk
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce ( I used chunky)
2 Egg Whites
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
Raisin or Nuts;optional..I left out

If using the old fashioned oats, soak in milk for one hour. If using quick oats,skip this step and add the milk later on in the recipe. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees or 200 celcius. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick spray and set aside. In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients. In another bowl, combine soaked oats, applesauce and egg whites and mix until combined ( If using instant oats,add the oats to the dry ingredients and the milk with the wet ingredients) Add wet ingredients to dry and mix just until combined. Stir in raisins or nuts if using.

Spoon mixture into muffin tins evenly. Bake 20-25 mins..You really need to keep an eye on this time. I think they will be done between 15-20 mins. I took mine out at 20 and they were on the verge or being over cooked. So start checking at 15. Cool for a few minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
 One muffin has 93.5 calories.

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: SparkRecipes 



2 comments:

Anna said...

Yum! Gotta try this recipe with mixed nuts! Wish me luck...

Sonya said...

Good luck :) it's really a simple recipe so no worries!