Thursday, March 15, 2012

Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies

  
      As a baker I find myself being a "collector"of ingredients. I will spot something somewhere, pick it up and think I will use it right away for something. I will fully admit that this doesn't always happen..case in point..Almond Meal. I spotted this in Germany and picked it up right away..infact I picked up several small bags because I thought for sure I would use it right away. This was like..a really long time ago.

When I started my journey into healthier forms of cooking and baking I wanted to make sure that I was really open to everything. I am not a food snob nor am I an ingredient snob. If I like it then I like it..if it's vegetarian,gluten free or full fat..I love it. So when I started seeing more and more recipes calling for almond flour, I was so happy that I had those bags waiting for me.

This is my first time using almond flour (well I used almond meal but there doesn't seem to be to much of a difference).. I can say that it totally won't be my last! the flavor you get from using ground up almonds is incredible! My cookies don't look anything like the original recipe and thats because I went ahead and rolled them into tiny balls..and boy do I mean teenie weenie. You are using a one teaspoon level scoop of dough for these cookies and based on the calorie content for one, I really wouldn't see these as a healthy choice. Each weenie cookie has 58 calories but the joy from eating one is huge. These are very moreish though and thankfully I only ate two before my family swooped in for the kill.

These were chewy..almost macaroon like and was a real winner for us. The downside is that they are so small you just really want to keep popping them in left and right :)

Almond-Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup Almond Flour
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/8 tsp. Salt
2 TBS Canola Oil
2 TBS Agave Nectar..I used Honey
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Semi-sweet Mini Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper;set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour,baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, agave nectar and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into dry and stir until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.

Using a teaspoon measuring spoon,scoop up a level amount of dough and place onto cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. ( I found the dough to be more sandy than firm and worried about it not holding together after they were baked. I went ahead and put the teaspoon of dough into my hand and shaped it into a ball and slightly flattened it before putting it onto the prepared sheet).

Bake 7-8 mins. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for 5 mins before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

** 1 cookie has 58 calories**

Yield: 24 mini cookies
Source: Recipe Girl



 

3 comments:

a happy little life said...

i've seen a lot of almond type cooking ingred. here and wondered what i would do with them.
i love almonds. so imagine the flours, etc would be quite wonderful!
thanks for another nice recipe.
xo

Sonya said...

I think you could sub some of this flour in regular cookie recipes too..like chocolate chip! I bet it would give a great shot of the almond flavor in that type of cookie!

Formerly known as Frau said...

My trainer/ nutritionist said to use Almond flour to make a healthier pizza! Cookies look delicious ! Have a wonderful weekend!