Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sloppy Joe's with Kidney Beans

  

         There is nothing worse than being down for the count from a simple cold..but that was me last week! It was a mild one but it held on for dear life. Thankfully I only get sick maybe once or twice a year now so I can't complain to much :)

Sloppy Joe's are always an easy standby meal. I don't make it that often because my husband and I aren't fans of tomato based recipes. However once and awhile the boys will have those..  "Remember when we had that back home" moments and I will hunt down what they are craving. We already have THIS recipe that we love but I didn't have everything I needed so I went with this one. It wasn't bad but we still prefer the more tangy taste when it comes to sloppy joe's. I did love the addition of kindey beans and will add it to our favorite recipe from now on.

Sloppy Joe's with Kidney Beans

1 TBS Vegetable Oil
1/2 cup Finely chopped Yellow Onion
1/2 cup seeded and finely diced Bell Pepper
1 lb. Ground Beef,ground chicken,turkey or soy crumbles
1 can (16-ounce) Red Kidney Beans,drained and rinsed
2 TBS Tomato Paste
1 cup Tomato Sauce
2 TBS Cider Vinegar
1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp packed Brown Sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 Hamburger Buns,split

In a large skillet over medium-high heat,place the oil in the pan. Add the onion and bell pepper. Cook,stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the meat and cook until no longer browned, about 8 minutes.

Stir in the beans,tomato paste,tomato sauce,cider vinegar,cinnamon, and brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium and simmer,stirring frequently, until the flavors have blended, about 15 minutes.

Serve on toasted buns with or without cheese.

Yield: 4-6 servings
Source: Simply Suppers


 

No comments: