Monday, February 6, 2012

Flour Free and Sugar Free Muffins



        Last week I decided to take a giant leap of faith and bake muffins that contained no flour or sugar. I was scared. It's crazy to sit here and type that but I was really scared to give this a try. Why? I guess because I'm a creature of habit and sometimes I find it hard to think outside of the box and can't possibly imagine anything tasting good without atleast sugar.

Boy was I wrong! So here is the low down on these muffins. There is no flour..instead you use ground up oats and that magically resemble flour once you whiz the poo out of them in a food processor. To replace the sugar you use seriously ripened banana's and cranberries. I'm not going to lie..it takes a minute or so to get use to these. Your tastebuds know right away that something is missing..and that would be the sugar. However what you do taste is oats and banana's..which I loved. I didn't like these muffins when I tried one warm. Infact I didn't love them until the next morning. I think the 24 hour resting period really worked for these and allowed the flavors to really come together. The texture is not the same as if you used a bunch of flour and sugar but I can't say enough positive things about these. My whole family loved these and my youngest wanted these for his snack instead of his usual chocolate granola bar. That says it all.

I can see myself playing around with this recipe. I think next time I will add in some sort of spice,swap the cranberries out for maybe blueberries,possibly adding in some honey instead of the lemon juice, the possibilites are endless. You need to keep the mashed banana's in there since they are the binder to it all. If you are looking for a guilt free treat to have and one that you can feel good about giving to your family, then this is it.!

Cranberry Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

3 cups Oat Flour (finely ground Oats)
1 TBS Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 Eggs
2 cups Very Ripe Bananas ( 4 bananas)
3/8 cup Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
1 tsp. Vanilla
1-1/2 cups Yogurt..I used plain
1 TBS Poppyseeds
2 cups Dried Cranberries

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin;set aside.

In a medium bowl,whisk together the oat flour,baking powder,baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a bowl of a stand mixer, rapidly beat eggs for 1-2 minutes. Add bananas,lemon juice, and vanilla and beat well for one minute, making sure that no large chunks of bananas remain.

With mixer on low speed, Add 1 cup of yogurt to the liquid mixture, followed by half of the dry ingredient mixture. Add remaining yogurt and dry mixture and beat just until combined. Fold in poppy seeds and cranberries by hand.

Pour batter into 12 greased muffins cups. Cups will be very full,almost to the point of overflowing (it's ok!) Bake for 25-30 or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

** I filled my cups to the top and still came away with 15 muffins. I was to nervous about filling all the way to the top**

Yield: 12-15 Muffins
Source:Confessions of a Bright Eyed Baker