Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Spicy Cinnamon Roasted Almonds

  
      I am soooo behind on posting recipes! I have tons of new recipes to post but getting myself to sit down and post them is something else entirely. It's not if I have a whole lot going on these days. I guess my brain is still on christmas vacation time or something.

I am a big fan of spiced nuts and smoked nuts but never really bothered to make my own. Now that I have it's probably not a good thing. It's so simple and noone will believe that you did it yourself in one hour. You can make these all year long and if you are looking for a homemade gift..pour some into a cellophane bag,tie a nice ribbon top  and you are good to go!

Spicy Cinnamon Roasted Almonds

1 Egg White
1 tsp. Cold Water
4 cups Whole Almonds
1/2 cup White Sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 250 or 125-130 celcius. Lightly grease a baking sheet.

In a small bowl, combine the sugar,salt,cayenne pepper and cinnamon;set aside. In a large bowl, lightly beat egg white. Add the water and beat until frothy but not stiff. Add the nuts, and stir until well coated. Sprinkle sugar mixture over the nuts and toss to coat. Spread evenly onto prepared pan and bake in oven for 1 hour, stirring occasionally,until the nuts are completely dry and golden. Allow to completely cool and store in airtight container.

Yield: 4 Cups
Source: The Comfort of Cooking