Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Red Enchilada Sauce

 
      Enchilada's is not something you will find in The Netherlands. I can find refried beans,flavorless taco seasoning,tortillas and salsa now..but it's not the same. My husband fell in love with Taco Bell while we lived in Oregon and luckily I have been able to make some of our favorite meals from there at home.

Enchilada's are something we all enjoyed but I never really made the step of making them myself..mainly because of the sauce. I will admit to using a packet or a can back home when I wanted to make them and never really saw a need to make it myself. Well now I have such a need and thanks to another expat who pointed this recipe out to me, I can make them for my family at anytime. The sauce is delicious,slightly spicy and it can be frozen for later use.

Enchilada Sauce

2 TBS Butter
2 TBS Flour
5 tsp. Chili Powder
1-1/2 tsp. Cumin
2 tsp. Garlic Powder
6 ounces Tomato Paste
2-1/4 cups Water
Salt& Pepper

Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add flour and whisk for 1 minute. Add spices and tomato paste;whisk until thoroughly combined. Add water gradually,stirring or whisking constantly. Heat until boiling;reduce heat to a simmer and continue stirring until desireed thickness is achieved.

I waited to add the salt and peper until the end. I didn't want to continously add more and more in there if I didn't need it. If you worry about the amount of chili powder, add in half and then taste as you go along to see if you need more. I added in the full amount and even my spice sensitive kid loved this.

Once you have reached the desireed thickness of the sauce,coat the bottom of your pan with sauce,add your enchilada's and pour the remaining sauce over top and add shredded cheese!

Yield: Enough for a pan of enchilada's
Source: Food.com