Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Brown Sugar Spice Cookies

  
       How is everyone's weeek going? My two boys finally went back to school on monday and it feels good to be getting back into some sort of a routine again. I've been keeping myself busy with reorganising the house. I'd love to tell you that I enjoyed doing this, but I really don't. The average Dutch home is very cramped and I find myself exchanging one pile for another...and we don't even own that many items to begin with! My kitchen is so small that it makes me want to weep on a weekly basis but I'm happy to say that the countdown to buying a new home has begun! I can't get to excited because we still won't be moving until 2013..but we are getting closer and that keeps me hanging on!

Yesterday I headed into my weenie kitchen and whipped up a batch of wonderful brown sugar cookies. Although this is a simple basic recipe, the flavor is anything but! the cookies are chewy with a nice spice flavor. The only difference I would make the next time around would be to up the spices to one teaspoon. The recipe also calls for 2 teaspoons of baking soda but I only used one and it was perfect. I am really sensitive to the taste of baking soda and one teaspoons seems to be my limit before I complain of tasting nothing else.

If you like a chewy soft cookie,stay around the 8 minute mark.If you like a more crisp cookie,bake them slightly longer and allow them to sit on the cookie sheet longer. These cookies puff up alot in the oven but when they come out they will flatten and crinkle a bit..and you want that!

Brown Sugar Cookies

3/4 cup ( 170 grams) Butter,softened
1-1/4 cups Dark Brown Sugar ( it doesn't say but I packed mine)
1 Large Egg,room temp
2 cups All-purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Soda..I used 1 with no problems
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon..next time I will use 1 tsp.
1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger..will use 1 tsp. next time

Preheat oven to 375 or 190. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt,cinnamon and ginger;set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and dark brown sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture and beat until well combined. The dough will appear very dry and that's ok!

Drop large teaspoonfuls of dough onto prepared cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake until edges are just brown,8-12 minutes. Cool on sheet for one minute before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 3-1/2-4 dozen
Source: Best Bakesale Cookbook