Thursday, December 1, 2011

Gingerbread Whoopies w/ Lemon Buttercream Frosting


    Heeelloo people! I am still around! thanks for the concerned e-mails..I am alive and ok. Being an expat comes with its ups and downs and for the most part I can ride the bad ones out fairly quickly. However when Thanksgiving rolls around I hit a huge dip with my spirits. I start thinking of home and about everyone and what they are up to and what I'm missing out on. It takes me awhile to bounce back..and this time it was a really huge dip. I'm feeling better though and have much to be thankful for. I made a no-bake pumpkin pie but there isn't really a point in posting that anymore. So I will wait until next year!

     
     I do have a whoopie pie recipe to share with you though. Today is my 37th birthday and this is what I made for myself. These babies were awesome. The inside is a lemon buttercream frosting that goes perfect with gingerbread. I had a wonderful birthday and being 37 doesn't feel as bad as I thought it would..and I really thought it was going to feel bad. I have a habit of getting caught up in the whole number thing and assuming I'm going to need a walker at any moment. Yes I'm over the top like that.

 Don't overbake these, add more lemon to the frosting than I did and hide a few because they are going to go fast. Real fast.

Gingerbread Whoopies 

1/2 cup plus 3TBS Butter,softened
3/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla 
1 Extra Large Egg
2 TBS  Molasses or Blackstrap Molasses
2-1/3 cups All-purpose Flour
2-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1-1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger
3/4 tsp. Ground Allspice
Pinch of Salt
2 TBS Milk

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter,sugar and vanilla extract and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and molasses and mix until combined.

Sift the flour, baking powder, ginger, allspice and salt over the creamed mixture and mix together. Add the milk and mix until combined..( you can also mix the sifted flour and milk in by using a wooden spoon).


Using a level 2-inch/5cm ice cream scoop or heaping tablespoon, make 18 halves. To make each half, put the batter onto the prepared sheet in 2-inch/5cm diameter rounds about 1-1/4inch/3cm high..allow 3 inches between each round to give them room to spread out ( although these did not spread out much and I ended up placing 5 onto the cookie sheet)

Bake in the oven 10-12 mins, or until firm to the touch. Transfer to wire racks to cool completly. ** I wouldn't overbake these. I allowed some to go as far as 15 minutes and although they were firm to the touch by then, they hardened up and became dry.**

When whoopies are cooled, match each one with its closest partner in size. Spread frosting generously onto the flat side of one whoopie using a butter knife or pastry bag fitted with large star tip and top each one with its partner.


Lemon Buttercream Frosting


3/4 cup Butter,softened
3/4 tsp. Vanilla
3-1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 TBS Lemon Juice


Place butter and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat together with either an electric mixer or with a wooden spoon until combined.


Sift in the powdered sugar. Add in lemon juice and mix together until light and fluffy.


** I would add more lemon juice next time or swap the vanilla out for lemon extract**


Yield: 9 Whoopie Pies
Source: Whoopies! Fabulous mix and match recipes for whoopie pies.