Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies

  
        This weekend was my cookie exchange get together! I had the best time. I really really did. It was so great to spend the day with other expats and it really helped to make my holiday season that much better. We happily ate,drank and chatted the whole day away. We plan to make this an annual event and I can't wait until next year!

I brought these wonderful sandwich cookies to share with everyone and they seemed to go over very well. They are really simple to bake and the frosting makes your whole house smell like a peppermint factory!

      
     I also brought along my lemon sugar cookies in the shapes of snowflakes. I need to practice my frosting more!

I'm finally done with baking for everyone else. I have one more cookie box to mail off and I only need to worry about my family now. It's been a great holiday baking season and can't wait until next year to do it all over again!

Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies

1-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour,lightly spooned into measuring cup and leveled
3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 cup Semi sweet Chocolate Chips
3/4 cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
5 TBS Butter..real butter!
1 TBS Water 
1 Large Egg,lightly beaten

Peppermint Frosting

1/2 cup Butter,softened
2 cups  Powdered Sugar
1/2-1 tsp. Peppermint Extract
Milk as needed for consistency
Sprinkles,food coloring,crushed candy canes;optinal

Preheat oven to350 or 180 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment. 

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the chocolate chips, brown sugar, butter and water, stirring constantly until melted and smooth ( there will still be grains of sugar and that's ok). Transfer mixture to a large bowl and beat in egg. Stir in flour mixture until combined. Do not overmix.

If the dough is to soft, let is sit for a few minutes or place in the fridge for a few minutes. The dough is going to be very soft so do not expect it to hard up. Gently roll balls, either into 1 tablespoon full for large cookies, or 1/2 inch balls for silver dollared sized cookies ( I went with the larger size). Place 2 inches apart on prepared sheet. Bake 8-9 minutes for the larger cookies or 5 mins for the smaller cookies. The cookies will be done when they are slighlty puffed in the middle and the edges are set but centers are still soft. Cool for a few minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Once they completely cool they will flatten out and get that chocolate crinkle look on top.

To make the frosting, beat all of the ingredients together, including a drop or two of red frosting and peppermint extract to taste. Add the milk by teaspoon full until spreadable, but not to soft.  Place frosting in a ziplock bag and cut off a small piece of the corner. Pipe the frosting onto one side of the cookie and top with its matching pair. Roll edges into sprinkles if desired. I found that pouring sprinkles into my hand and rolling the cookies like that worked best.

** For step by step photos of everything, head over to Our Best Bites**

Yield: 1-1/2 dozen for large or  4-5 dozen for the teenie ones
Source: Our Best Bites