Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Chocolate Chip Scones

  
         I'm in a mad rush this week to get a bunch of baking done. I am headed to my first cookie exchange get together on saturday and I'm so excited! Anytime I can meet up with other expats is always exciting for me. I am also doing a cookie exchange through mail! When you mail something within The Netherlands it only takes one day to reach the person. So a group of us ladies who are on an expat cooking group on facebook decided to do one through the mail. It's not always easy getting together around this time so mailing off a wonderful box filled with cookies is the way to go!

        
     I decided to surprise my 3 guys with some chooclate chip scones this weekend! My kids thought I was the coolest mom ever for serving them chocolate for breakfast :) This was my first time trying a scone recipe and to be honest I don't know if it's an authentic one or not. We didn't wait until they cooled off to eat them so to us it tasted like a wonderful thick cookie! These are super simple to bake and I can see myself making these again really soon!

Chocolate Chip Scones

1-1/2 cups Plus 2 TBS All-purpose Flour
1/4 cup Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt..I used 1/8 tsp.
1 cup Chocolate Chips..I used mini's
1 cup Heavy Cream
2 TBS Butter,Melted
Additional sugar for sprinkling;optional. I used a cinnamon sugar combo on top :)

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour,sugar,baking powder and salt. Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine. Add the heavy cream to the flour mixture and mix just until the dough forms and the dry ingredients are incorporated. Knead the dough briefly with floured hands to make sure that everything is combined ( I did it right in the bowl)

Using either a large cookie scoop or spoon, drop dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 15-20 mins, or until lightly browned.

Yield: 10-12 Scones
Source: Tracy Carolyn and Annie's Eats