Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Brown Sugar Oat Muffins

 
        I cant believe I have gotten to the point of not posting a recipe based on looks. I mean..seriously. I didn't want to post these because my muffins have peaks..but you know what? peaks happen. It's a part of life and ladies..we need to embrace those peaks! I did two things wrong with this recipe. I over mixed and I didn't check my oven temp. It was slighty higher and when I finally caught it, it was to late. They didn't burn but it shows how you do need to pay attention when baking!

With all of that peak drama aside..these guys are awesome! there is no flashy bits of nuts or raisins or apples or a glaze..well you can add those but you don't have to! I only added a sprinkle of sliced almonds and it was perfect. These are great on their own or with butter. If you don't have whole wheat flower then just add all-purpose flour. Super easy recipe that results in a moist muffin with a great brown sugar flavor with an added old fashioned element with the addition of oats. The original recipe did not call for any spices but I highly suggest you add one. I went with a teaspoon of pumpkin pie seasoning but cinnamon would also work very well.

Brown Sugar Oat Muffins

1 cup Old Fashioned Oats
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
3/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pimpkin Pie Spice or Ground Cinnamon
2 Eggs
3/4 cup Milk
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
1 tsp. Vanilla


Preheat oven to 400 degrees or 200 celcius. Line a muffin tin with liners or grease with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the oats,flours,brown sugar, baking powder, salt and spice and set aside.


In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Divide batter evenly among cups. Bake for 15-17 mins or until toothpick inserted towards middle comes out with just a few crumbs. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.


Yield~12 Muffins
Source~ Taste of Home