Monday, November 14, 2011

No Fuss Slow Cooker Potato Soup

     
       Brrr...is it COLD out there! I walked to the store recently and my face felt chapped when I returned home. I'm no stranger to cold winters. I'm originally from Oregon and winters can get bad there. What The Netherlands has going for it though is that deep level of bitter cold that leaves you chilled to the bone. My face hurts nonstop for about 4-5 months and no matter how much extra strength lotion I put on my face and hands it's never enough. I need to stock up on gloves,hats and thick boots to make it through every year.

The only way to combat the bitter cold that awaits everyone as they leave for the day is to have giant bowls of soup with warm slices of homemade bread when they return. I'm a huge fan of the slow cooker and I just love knowing that dinner is ready and waiting for us at the end of a long day. Now that the boys are both getting braces, we have alot of appointments coming up and I'm going to rely on slow cooker meals alot more..Today's wonderful visit consists of teeth brushing..and we get charged for this visit. I toally get that they need to learn how to brush their teeth differently once the braces are on..but WHY not go over that when they actually have them on?? 

Lets talk soup! this is a super easy recipe that can be changed to suit your needs. You can add in meat if you want,I've used a packet of onion soup before and I've added in a pouch of instant potato soup towards the end to make it  thicker. All versions are good and we love the soup!

No Fuss Potato Soup

6 cups Cubed Peeled or Unpeeled Potatoes
2 cups Chopped Onion
1/2 cup Chopped Celery
1/2 cup Thinly sliced Carrots
5-6 cups Water or Broth
1/4 cup Butter,cubed
4 tsp. Chicken bouillon granules..leave out if using broth
2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1 can (12 ounces)  Evaporated Milk
3 TBS Minced fresh Parsley;optional

In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the vegetables,water,butter,bouillon,salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high 7-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.

Add milk and parsley. cover and cook 30-60 minutes longer or until heated through.

Yield: About 3 Quarts
Source: Taste of Home Slow Cooker Meals