Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cornmeal Drop Biscuits

  
       Did everyone have a happy halloween? I spent mine taking care of a sick kid with a serious sinus infection! thats enough to keep you away from blogging for a week. I'm happy to say he is over it and back at school!

     
    I am on a serious cornmeal kick and can't use that ingredient often enough. I plan on making some homemade polenta soon but decided to use some of it in this easy recipe. These drop biscuits were a huge hit. The polenta lends a slight crunch and I made the mistake of using one cup of cheese instead of 1/2 cup..it was a great mistake. The next time I bake these Im going to use sharp cheddar cheese and possibly add in some choped scallions! I'll be back with a recipe for cornmeal bread..goes great with chili or soup  :)

Cornmeal Drop Biscuits

1-1/3 cup All-purpose Flour
1/2 cup Cornmeal
2-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Ground Mustard
1/2 cup Shortening..I used butter which is why they spread out.
1/2-1 cup Shredded Cheddar or Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 cup Milk

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parment paper or grease with nonstick spray;set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and mustard;cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in cheese and milk just until moistened.

Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared sheet. Bake for 26-28 minutes or until golden brown. Serve Warm

Yields: 10-12 Drop Biscuits
Source:Taste of Home Baking