Thursday, October 13, 2011

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe's

 
          I debated on if I was going to post this recipe because it doesn't taste anything like a philly cheesesteak..not even close..not even kinda sorta if you close your eyes and try real hard close. It drives me nuts when someone tries to spruce up a recipe by giving it a more snazzy name. I totally fell for it too and I should of known better when I saw the ingredients list. 

This is nothing more than a regular sloppy joe recipe with a cheese sauce..nothing more, nothing less. I'm totally ok with that but atleast call it like it is. I've had cheesesteaks before and I wonder what type Rachel Ray has been eating because clearly there is a difference.  There is also something clearly wrong with me if I went ahead and made this based on the ingredients I knew not to be in the normal cheesestake recipes:P

With all of that being said..it was good. The cheese sauce was a nice addition and I added in diced peppers and mushrooms when I saw that Cassie Craves had made it aswell.

Sloppy Joe's with Cheese Sauce

1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 lb. Extra Lean Ground Sirloin..I used regular beef
1 Large Onion,Chopped


1 Bell Pepper,Chopped; optional
1 cup Sliced Mushrooms;optional
1/4 cup Steak Sauce
1 cup Beef Stock
 Salt and Pepper to taste 


1 TBS Butter
1 TBS Flour
1 cup Milk
1 cup Shredded Provolone Cheese..I used Cheddar


In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and brown the ground meat  about 5-6 mins. Add the onion,peppers and mushrooms and cook for another 3-4minutes, until the onion and peppers start to soften and the mushrooms are browned.  Stir in the steak sauce and the beef broth, season with salt and pepper, bring up to a bubble and cook for about 2 minutes.


While the meat is cooking, melt the butter in a medium sized skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat.  Whisk in the flour and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, bring up to a bubble and let thicken, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese until it's all incorporated and melted through.


To serve, place meat on a roll and top with cheese sauce.


Yield: 4 servings
Source: Rachel Ray