Monday, October 10, 2011

The BEST Molasses Spice Cookies

  
       There is no denying fall has finally arrived here in The Netherlands. It's downright cold! We've got those dark mornings which are followed by the grey,windy wet  afternoons. We've been on a soup kick aswell. We can't seem to warm up!

This summer a dear friend of mine sent me a goodie box from home. Inside, among other wonderful items was a jar of blackstrap molasses. I've never baked with that before. To be perfectly honest, I don't even think I have baked with light molasses either. I put the jar away and knew it would be time to use when the weather  got cold  and  the  leaves started changing. Well the day finally arrived  :) I went searching online for blackstrap molasses cookie recipes. I was able to find one that looked very promising. The dough was simple to work with and it smelled like christmas in the house while the cookies baked.

I was seriously hooked with the first bite! The salty,spicy,chewy-cake-like combo was out of this world. I couldn't stop at just one and cursed the fact that I needed to share with everyone else. When my two boys came home from school they made a beeline right into the kitchen.When my husband came home he got a huge smile on his face and asked right away what I baked. These are seriously one of my all time favorite cookies..and I don't make that statement lightly. These are right up there with my lemon sugar cookies and I can say without a doubt they will be making the cut in my christmas baking list!

The original recipe states that the recipe makes 18 cookies...18 very large cookies. I went  ahead and made them in all different sizes and came away with several dozen. I could serioulsy see myself making them large at some point but then making sure that I don't need to share them with anyone else:P 


Molasses Spice Cookies


2-1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Soda..I used 1 and it was just fine
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Ground Ginger
1-1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Ground Allspice
3/4 tsp. Ground Cloves
3/4 cup Unsalted Butter,softened
1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar,Packed
1/2 cup Sugar,plus 1/3 cup for rolling cookies
1 Large Egg
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/3 cup Blackstrap Molasses


Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and allspice;set aside.


In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter for 2 minutes.Add the brown sugar, and 1/2 cup sugar and beat until light and fluffy,about 3 minutes with mixer on medium speed. Add egg, vanilla and molasses;beat until combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.


Switch mixer to low speed and add in the flour mixture,  beating just until combined,about 30 seconds.


Place remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a shallow bowl. Using about two tablespoons of dough at a time, roll into balls. Roll balls in sugar and then place on an ungreased or parchment lined cookie sheet spacing them about 2 inches apart.


Bake until the outer edges of  the  cookies are set and the centers are soft and puffy,about 11-13 minutes. Cool on sheet for 2-3 minutes before removing to wire racks.


Do NOT overbake these cookies. You want them to be kind of soft and spongy in the middle..trust me on this!


Yield: Depends on the size 18-several dozen
Source: Simply Recipes