Saturday, September 17, 2011

Quick Mexican Rice with Black Beans


       I don't know about you but I always have problems with side dishes! The main dish I never have problems with, but I draw a blank when it comes to serving it with something else. I usually end up with either a salad or potato type dish. It gets boring. I've been trying to work on that, to make something equally delicious as the main meal. I think this one fits in nicely with that.

I made cheese quesadillas for dinner the other night and wanted something to go along with it. It's pretty much a no-brainer to serve some sort of mexican rice dish to go along with the quesadillas. I was short on time though and was so happy to find this recipe! It's easy, comes together in no time and tastes fantastic. You can add in additional spices if you like..I added in cumin. You could actually make this a main dish by adding in some cooked ground beef and eating it like that or stuffing a tortilla with it :)

Easy Mexican Rice with Black Beans

3-1/2 cups Hot Cooked Rice
1 cup Black Beans
1 cup Shredded Cheese..Cheddar,Monterey Jack,etc
1 (4oz) can Chopped Green Chilies
1 cup Tomato Sauce,warmed
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Pepper
Additional Seasoning;optional


In a large bowl, stir all ingredients together until evenly mixed and cheese is melted. (I went ahead and placed the black beans in with the tomato sauce as I warmed it up in a saucepan over medium low heat)


Yield: 4-6 side dish servings
Source: Kitchen Simplicity