Monday, September 26, 2011

Potato Kielbasa Skillet

  
     Believe it or not...summer has finally arrived here in Holland! I think thats what you call an Indian Summer! We went through a massive cold spree and now..my goodness! it's in the upper 70's and beautiful! I've been outside everyday for over a week now soaking up the sun,working in the yard and airing the house out while we still can. I really really needed this.

This dish is also something that I will really really need again soon. I am trying my best to introduce new foods to my family. Growing up I hated and I mean hated spinach. I always had it in the cooked form and it was a giant slimy green goo of a mess. I avoided it all the time after that until i finally decided to just get over it already. I knew I didn't like the cooked form but I never bothered to give the raw form a shot. Well I loved it. I started making salads with it left and right and then moved on to adding it in main dish meals. I still loved it. Gone are the haunting memories of slimy goo wich have been replaced with wonderful ideas of how I can use it even more!

This dish is really quick to make and I love the cider vinegar dressing you put on everything towards the end. If you can't find or don't like kielbasa, feel free to use any sausage that you do like.

Potato Kielbasa Skillet

1 lb Red Potatoes,cubed
3 TBS Water
3/4 lb Smoked Kielbasa or Polish Sausage,cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup Chopped Onion
1 TBS Olive Oil
2 TBS Brown Sugar
2 TBS Cider Vinegar
1 TBS Dijon Mustard
1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme
1/4 tsp. Pepper
4 cups Fresh Baby Spinach
5 Bacon strips,cooked and crumbled

Place potatoes and water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes or until tender;drain.

In a large skillet, saute kielbasa and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add potatoes;saute 3-5 minutes longer or until kielbasa and potatoes are lightly browned.

Combine the brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, thyme, and pepper;stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Add spinach and bacon;cook and stir until spinach is wilted.

Yield: 4 servings
Source: Taste of Home Busy Family Cookbook