Friday, September 30, 2011

Corn Muffins

  
      You can't tell from this photo but that corn muffin is ginormous. I heart it. Alot. So I'm seriously loving my new cookbook..The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book. If you are looking for a new cookbook..I would like to suggest this one. It's awesome for beginners aswell as the more advanced bakers. They have the best tips and tricks included in the cookbook and I am so loving that.

     
   These corn muffins not only rock on the corn flavor but they are extremely moist and soak up the butter that you know you are going to want to put on there. Incase I didn't tell you..these guys are huge. I am one of those none muffin filling offenders. I contstantly think that I am adding in way to much. What happens though is that you get a boring smallish muffin that can come out dry due to baking to quickly. Had I not paid attention to how many these make I could of easily come away with 18 muffins. So trust me on this and fill all 12 of your muffin tins full. I also had to sub some of the ingredients. As a rule I never keep whole milk on hand and was out of sour cream so I used plain yogurt instead. Now go makes these.

Corn Muffins

2 cups ( 10 ounces ) All-purpose Flour
1 cup(3 ounces) Yellow Cornmeal ( I used Polenta)
1-1/2 tsp. BakingPowder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4 cup Sour Cream ( I used plain yogurt)
3/4 cup(5 1/4 ounces) Sugar
1/2 cup Whole Milk ( I used Buttermilk)
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter,melted and cooled
2 Large Eggs

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat the oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin and set aside.

Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salttogether in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the sour cream, sugar, milk, melted butter, and eggs together until smooth. Gently fold the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined( do not overmix!)

Portion batter into each greased cup and bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out with just a few crumbs attached, about 15-20 mins. 

Let muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Yield: 12 Corn Muffins
Source: The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book   

 


 
 

8 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

I'm a huge fan of corn muffins especially when making chili!! This one looks delicious! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

a happy little life said...

These look big time yummy! I think I need to make chili next week!
I love that you used polenta because that I can find here! YEAH!

PS. boy #3 requested I made your cinnamon muffins again today(4x now). Those are his all time favorite and because of those muffins he told me I bake better than his F.I. grandma hahahahha score 1 for U.S.A step mom!

Sonya said...

Polenta is my favorite to use when making corn bread recipes :)

Whoo hoo..total score on being the awesome muffin maker!!! I'll have new muffin recipes up this week too..I've got a TON of apples to use!

lytha said...

we took 80 kilos of apples to this place that makes juice and now we have coupons for a few years' worth of apple juice (and you can redeem them for other juices too - i'm having mango now). now we're officially in the juice farming system!

i hope to make these muffins cuz i have a big bag of cornmeal.

i also have over a thousand walnuts drying upstairs. so...many...walnuts are falling, the neighbors are gathering theirs off the street and i can hear them falling onto the pavement at night. (ours are in our yard, front and back.)

it's a bounty, but not in the green pepper area - i have two coin sized peppers and that is it: (

lytha said...

i made these tonight - they're great. my husband has never had anything like them. it's WAY too hot for chili though! *lol* indiansummer ugh, i hate this, i cannot do anything outside without sweat running down my face into my eyes. it was 26 today and we were out in it hiking 5 hours. i know most people are really enjoying it after such a wet summer, but i'm really ready for jacket weather.

Sonya said...

YAY, glad you two liked them :) Im loving the weather..no complaints at all! haha

a happy little life said...

And so they were made! I opened the oven and said 'HELLO LADIES' hahahaha! Tender and oh so lovely made with polenta! Love love love!
XXOXX Tracie

Sonya said...

Yippee..so glad you loved them asmuch as I did! I am going to make more this week to go along with our soup :)