Monday, August 15, 2011

Quick Taco Pasta

 
             My kids get the weirdest cravings sometimes. They will come to me with some off the wall request for something we had back home..Now to be fair, I get the same way. I had a wicked craving for wheat thins that was driving me insane. I know there are homemade versions of those crackers out there but I usually push through those cravings and move on. However for whatever reason, my kids wanted a Hamburger Helper version of taco pasta! whaaat! We sometimes get recorded dvd's from home and we love watching all of the commericals and I think they must of seen a commercial for that. I can count on one hand the amount of times I actually made something using hamburger helper back home.

So..like any good mom I set out to find something that would satisfy that craving. I found it. I made it. They loved it. The End. It's a quick no-brainer meal that tastes 100% better than any boxed mix out there. Go make ya some :)

Taco Pasta

1 lb. Ground Beef or turkey or veggie crumbles
8-12 ounces small or medium pasta shells
1 small Onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes,drained..plain or with mild green chilies
1 packet ( 4 TBS) Taco Seasoning
3 ounces Cream Cheese
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/4 cup Chopped Cilantro;optional
Salt and Pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of water to boil and boil your pasta according to package directions. Drain,reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water; set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the ground beef and onions over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in diced tomatoes and taco seasoning and let simmer over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.

Stir in the cooked pasta, cream cheese, sour cream and reserved pasta water, and continue stirring until the cream cheese is melted and the sauce is well blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over medium-low heat 3-5 minutes to reduce the sauce a bit if it's still to thin.

Toss in the cilantro right before serving if using.

Yield:4-6 servings
Source: The Girl Who Ate Everything