Monday, August 1, 2011

Pretzel Chicken with Mustard-Cheddar Sauce


        Where on earth has the time gone? it's already the first of August! I haven't gotten enough warm sunny summer days so I'm hoping that this month makes up for everything. Has your summer gone the way you wanted it to?

I was zooming around on Foodgawker and seriously if you haven't been on there..You. Need. To. I found this recipe on there and bookmarked it right away. I just loved the idea of using crushed up pretzels as the coating for the chicken..and hello, sharp cheddar cheese with a spicy mustard as a sauce? I'm so digging that. We loved everything about it..espically the sauce! I drizzled it on our potatoes aswell as cauliflower. My youngest son is a serious mustard hating kid and he even scraped up every last bit of the sauce. 

You could get creative with the chicken..maybe cut the chicken into strips or make nuggets out of them. I plan to use more chicken next time since I had plenty of both the crushed pretzels and sauce. I think it's because I crushed the pretzels with a rolling pin and didn't get that fine powder that you would if you used a food processor. That's ok though because we loved the crunchy bits. I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe and it will be going into our usual rotation of meals.

Pretzel Chicken with Mustard-Cheddar Sauce

2 Bonless Skinless Chicken Breasts
6 ounces of Salted Pretzels
Salt and Pepper..I only used pepper
2 Eggs
1 TBS Butter
1 TBS Flour
1 cup Milk
1 TBS Spicy Mustard
2 cups (8 ounces) Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Completely butterfly each chicken breast, making a total of 4 thin chicken breasts. Place each chicken breast in between two pieces of plastic wrap and flatten slightly either with a mallet or a rolling pin..( I totally skipped this part since I felt like the breasts were thin enough) 

Place pretzels in a food processor and process until you have fine crumbs. You can also place the pretzels into a large resealable bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Place crumbs into a shallow dish and season with salt if needed and pepper. In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs with a fork.

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat up your oil, about 1/8 inch deep. Dip each chicken breast into the pretzel crumbs, then into the eggs and then back into the pretzels. Place in skillet and cook until pretzels are browned and the chicken is cooked through- about 3-4 minutes on each side.

In a saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and mustard, and cook until slightly thickened. Quickly stir in the cheese and continue to stir until the cheese has melted. Serve chicken with sauce.

Yields: 4 servings
Source: Taste and Tell