Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Lemon Meringue Ice Cream

  
             I love this ice cream..love love LOVE it...infact next to mint chocolate chip ice cream, this is my all time favorite. It tastes just like a lemon meringue pie. My husband announced lastnight that he wanted this ice cream for his birthday in december :)

The funny thing is, I almost didn't make it. I was all excited when I saw the ingredients. I could for once buy everything at the store and not worry about having to make something from scratch. I miss the convenience of shopping in the U.S. Everything is there and although I am 100% for making things from scratch..there are times when I just want a break and I don't want to have to make anything. I walked into the store and found the lemon curd and headed for the section where I saw the meringue cookies a few days before. Well they didn't have any..and I was ticked. The stores here are not known for restocking the shelves throughout the day and if they are out, they are out. I stood in the aisle and was ready to put everything back and just go home. It was hot and I didn't want to make meringue cookies. I wanted convenience for once. I sighed, bought everything and came home and just decided to pull my big girl panties up and make meringue cookies.

I am soooo glad I did! this ice cream is tart, creamy, refreshing and the chewy bits from the crushed meringues are awesome. Infact I am glad I had to make them myself because I've never liked the store bought ones. So if you decide to buy the meringues or make them yourself, you won't be sorry. This ice cream rocks on so many levels.

The only thing I changed about the recipe was the amount of lemon zest. I only used maybe two teaspoons. I forgot to buy more lemons at the store and I wasn't going back. I added in 1/4 tsp of lemon exract and honestly when you add in the lemon curd, it really takes it over the top on the perfect lemon flavor.

Lemon Meringue Ice Cream

2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Plus 2 TBS Fresh Lemon Juice (about 4 Lemons)
1/4 cup Finley grated Lemon Zest
Pinch of salt
2-1/2 cups coarsely chopped Meringue Cookies
3/4 cup Lemon Curd

In a large bowl, whisk together the whipping cream, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Allow to stand at room temperature for 20 minutes, whisking every few minutes to help dissolve the sugar. If you don't want  the zest in your ice cream, go ahead and strain it out after the 20 minutes. Cover and chill for atleast 3 hours in the fridge.


Add the mixture to your ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. Once it's done, quickly stir in the crushed meringue cookies. I went ahead and added in the lemon curd at this time aswell. You call also layer part of the ice cream in a freezer safe container and then add spoonfuls of the lemon curd,making layers of ice cream and curd. Seal the container and freeze until firm.
 Serve with any remaining crushed cookies and lemon curd.


Yield: 1 Quart
Source: Not So Humble Pie