Thursday, August 18, 2011

Jalapeno Cheddar Bread

     
            My green house is bursting at the seams with peppers galore. My husband grew a wide variety of them and I'm sorry to say that I can not keep up with the production. I have given away bags and bags and I still have a bunch! A great way to use them up is in corn muffins, salsa's,eggs and in a quick bread :) Infact I have another loaf of this bread in the oven right now because my husband has asked for it every day since I made this last week!!

Quick breads are one of my favorite things to bake. They are super easy and don't require yeast. This bread is so flavorful and I can honestly tell you that we loved it even more the next day. I think alot of quick breads benefit from a resting period. Allowing this bread to rest allowed the peppers to really mingle with the cheese and their flavor became even more intense when becoming cool. You can eat this warm and it's still wonderful..but I also push for you to save some for the next day..toast it if you want and just enjoy..plain or with some butter or with a slice of cheese and a fried egg :)

If you don't have or like jalapeno's then experiement with others. I used a pepper called Caloro since my jalapeno's still need to ripen a bit more.

Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
2 cups Flour
2 tsp. Sugar
1 TBS Baking Powder
1 tsp. Ground Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
1 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 cup Milk
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1 Large Egg
3 Jalapeno Peppers,seeded and diced
1/4 cup Diced Green Bell Pepper
1/4 cup Diced Red Bell Pepper

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Grease an 8x4-inch loaf pan;set aside.

In a medium bowl,sift together the flour, salt, pepper,sugar and baking powder. Add the cheese and gently mixed together until combined. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In another bowl, whisk the milk, oil and egg. Pour milk mixture into the center of the flour mixture and gently combine with a wooden spoon. Add peppers and mix just until combined..batter will be lumpy.

Pour into loaf pan. Bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove loaf and either slice it then or allow it to cool a little longer to make the slicing a bit easier.

Yield: 1 8x4-inch loaf
Source: The Novice Chef