Monday, August 8, 2011

Chocolate Banana Snack Cake

  
          I've recently taken a break from baking. I go through periods where I bake nonstop and don't try new meal recipes and then I switch around and do more new meal recipes than baking ones. However, I had some over ripened banana's that needed to be used up so back to baking I went!

I decided to try a chocolate banana cake since I had never had one before. I've made banana cookies with chocolate chips in them but this was the first time that chocolate was really going to play a part in the recipe. What's really great about this recipe is that there are no eggs, no butter, and the whole thing can be mixed in the pan you bake it in. It comes out sticky,dense and a little bit fudgy with a wonderful banana flavor. We really loved it and the next time I bake it, I will add in chopped walnuts.

The recipes states that you dump all of the ingredients into the dish you bake it in. However, I would mix the flour ingredients together in a seperate bowl before dumping it into the pan. The reason I suggest that is because I could taste a faint amount of baking soda and I always have that problem when I don't whisk the ingredients seperately. I could also be hyper-sensitive to that flavor but wanted to mention it anyway. There is no greasing of the pan, but that weirds me out so I added some nonstick spray anyway.

Chocolate Banana Snack Cake

2 very ripe medium Banana's
1-1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
3/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Baking Cocoa
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon;optional
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1/3 cup Water or Milk..I used milk
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Vinegar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/3 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Place banana's in an ungreased 8-inch square baking pan;mash with a fork. Stir in the remaining ingredients except chocolate chips and make sure everything is combined. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the batter.

Bake 35-37 minutes or until toothpick inserted towards middle comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack, about 45 minutes.

Yields: 9 servings
Source: Betty Crocker