Thursday, August 11, 2011

Banana Bread..In August

 
      I can't begin to tell you how much it pains me to be posting a banana bread recipe in August. I should be bringing you grilling recipes and popsicle recipes and ice cream recipes..Instead I bring you a quick bread recipe because the weather has been so cold that I'm again thinking of autumn meals. Alot of us expats on facebook have been talking about this and I'm sure atleast one or two of them will be making chicken potpie for dinner..in AUGUST!

To be honest..is there really a bad time to be eating banana bread? I think not. I love it..love love love it. I know there are all kinds of recipes out there that add different ingredients in..but I'm a traditional kind of girl and just prefer my bread to have banana's and walnuts. When the bread has cooled, you wrap it all up in plastic wrap and walk away from it..you need to totally fugetaboutit until the next day..trust me on this. Then in the morning, you creep downstairs, start a pot of coffee and slowly unwrap the bread..careful though! you don't want to wake anyone up. You deserve to have the first slice in private. As you start to unwrap it the banana smell smacks you right in the face. The bread is moist,perfect and ready for slicing. Allowing it to sit overnight really brings out the perfect banana flavor and to me,the bread just keeps better and better over the next few days...not that I expect it to last that long. Not in my house. Banana bread and a cup of coffee is an excellent way to start the day : ) Make sure to use very very ripened bananas..those will give you the fullest flavor!

Banana Bread

1-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
1-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/8 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 Egg
1 cup Mashed Bananas ( 3 medium)
3/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts


Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan;set aside.


In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center of dry mixture, set aside.


In another bowl combine the egg, bananas, sugar and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture. Stir just until moistened ( batter should be slightly lumpy). Fold in nuts.


Spoon batter into pan. Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan; cool on rack. Wrap in plastic wrap and store overnight before slicing.


Yield: 1 loaf
Source: Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook