Friday, July 1, 2011

No-Bake Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Treats

   
              We got hit with some realllly warm weather this week. We hit 92 degrees and it was about 88 degrees in our house..and it was humid. It was the kind of humidity where you have to slide yourself off of the couch and move around like a sloth. It started on monday,hit by tuesday and then dropped back into the 60's by wednesday. I've needed the rest of the week to recover from it.!

I'm back to share a 3 ingredient treat that doesnt require you heating the oven up. I've seen these all over the net. The original recipe comes from Picky Palate and she used oreo cookies in her base. I went with Bakergirls version of using chocolate chip cookies since thats what I had on hand. As soon as my husband and I took a bite we both started mentioning that it reminded of us something we ate back home..and then it hit me..A Charleston Chew Bar! the compairison to these has been a rice krispies treat but using crushed chocolate chip cookies instead of the cereal. I will go with that and one up it by saying it tastes just like the charleston bar. You could get away with using any type of cookie I would say..maybe some nutter butters (oooh how I miss nutter butters). These are pretty rich so make small squares out of these :)

No-Bake Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Treats

1-16 ounce package of Chocolate Chip Cookies
5 cups of Large Marshmallows
4 Tablespoons of Butter

Line an 8 inch square pan with foil and set aside. Place chocolate chip cookies in a food processor and pulse until crumbly, but not ground. I went ahead and used a large ziplock bag and used a rolling pin to crush them up.

In a large microwave safe bowl,melt butter and marshmallows until puffy, about 1-1/2-2 minutes. Remove and pour in ground cookies. Quickly stir to combine and transfer to prepared pan. Allow to set for 10-15 minutes. Remove bars out of pan by the foil edges. Cut and enjoy! ** These bars will be soft so don't expect them get hard**

Yield: depends on the size of the slices
Source: Picky Palate and Bakergirl