Thursday, July 21, 2011

Eton Mess

 
                      Eaton Mess has been on my to make list for the longest time. I always see it on the summer episodes of British cooking programs. Eton mess is a traditional british dessert that contains crushed meringue,heavy whipping cream and some kind of berry..usually strawberries. You can make your own meringues or purchase them at the store. I went ahead and made my own since the store bought ones never have the chewy texture that I love so much.

If you want to make your own meringues I have a recipe HERE that is for chocolate chip meringue cookies. You could leave the chocolate chips out or leave them in as an added bonus :) I've also made this dish using a large pavlova and just crushed the whole thing up. I've used strawberries and the photo above is made with a homemade strawberry rhubarb jam :)

Eton Mess

4 cups Strawberries
2 tsp. Granulated or Vanilla Sugar
2 tsp. Pomegranate Juice
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
Meringues

Hull and chop the strawberries and place into a large bowl. Add the sugar and juice and leave the berries to macerate ( basically you are allowing the berried to marinate in the sugar and juice).

Whip the cream in a large bowl until thick but still soft. Rougly crumble in the meringues into the whipping cream. Take out 1/2 cup of the chopped strawberries and fold in the remaining berries into the the cream mixture. Pour mixture into 4 serving glasses or bowls and top each one with remaning chopped strawberries. 

** I've also made this where I crumble up the meringues and lay those on the bottom and then add the whipping cream and the berries on top. You can make this so many different ways. The original recipe uses a small amount of meringues..but we are a serious meringue loving family and I always add in twice the amount :) I've also left out the juice and only added sugar to the strawberries. You can also sweeten the whipping cream up by adding in a few tablespoons of sugar and some vanilla before you whip it**

Yields: 4 servings
Source: Nigella