Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Curry Chicken

 
        I love dinners that come together quickly but still taste like you've been in the kitchen for hours. This dish comes together in 30 minutes and it tastes great. I know alot of people aren't fans of curry but I for one enjoy it. I do not like the hot and spicy curry dishes but I do like the more mild ones. If you are in the mild camp then you should give this one a try. Infact my one and only complaint was that it was a tad to mild. I ended up adding double the amount of curry that was called for and it still could of used more. Perhaps it was the type I was using and I think I will scout out different brands to see if I can get a better flavor.

The original recipe calls for chopped up tomatoes but I swapped those out for equal amounts of sliced mushrooms. We are more of a mushroom family than a tomato :) This feeds no more than 4 so next time I am going to serve naan bread with it because we were all pretty hungry later on that night. 

Curry Chicken

1 lb. Boneless skinless Chicken Breast,cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tsp. Curry Powder..or to taste
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1/2 cup Chopped Onion
1 TBS Oil
1 can ( 14 ounces) Coconut Milk
2 TBS Tomato Paste
3 cups Fresh Baby Spinach
1 cup Chopped Tomato or Mushrooms
Hot Cooked Rice

In a large skillet, add the oil,chicken and onion ( if using mushrooms instead of tomatoes add those in now). Sprinkle the curry powder, salt and pepper over the mixture and cook until chicken is no longer pink

Stir in the coconut milk and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes or until thickened. Add spinach and tomato;cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Serve over hot cooked rice.

Yields: 4 servings
Source: Taste of Home Busy Family Favorites