Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies with Maple Syrup Glaze

  
         I'd like nothing more than to tell you that I've been to busy to blog because of the beautiful summer weather..but I can't. We've been hammered with rain,storms and temps so cool that I have been thinking non stop of soups and stews! I've been cooking and baking but have been to bummed out to blog. It's really not fair to have a summer that reminds you of winter..espically since winter hangs around forever here. I'm hoping August will make up for all of this and I can get back to grilling again..I'm so anxious to try my hand at grilling pizza!!

These cookies are something I whipped up while the weather was cool. It reminds me of Fall, wich is something I shouldn't be thinking about right now, but I am. I've made two batches of these cookies..one following the exact recipe and the other one I added and took away somethings. These cookies are wonderful but I felt like they needed a slight tweak. The cranberries and oatmeal make this a super delicious chewy cookie and the maple syrup glaze makes you want to eat these for breakfast with a nice cup of hot coffee (wich I may or may not have done on maybe one or two occasions). The problem I ran into was that there wasn't enough maple flavoring for my liking. To solve this I added maple extract to both the dough and the glaze. The other thing I changed was the amount of baking soda. I must be hyper sensitive to that stuff because thats all I could taste the first time around. So I cut back to only one teaspoon and that did the trick. These cookies are seriously addictive and I plan to make these again when it is actually fall out :)

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies w/ Maple Syrup Glaze

1/2 cup Butter, softened
1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 tsp. Maple Extract;optional
1-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Baking Soda..I cut back to 1 tsp.
3 cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
1-1/2 cups Dried Cranberries

Glaze:
1 cup Powdered Sugar
3 TBS Pure Maple Syrup
1 tsp. Maple Extract;optional
3-5 TBS Milk or Cream
Pinch of Salt

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the flour,baking soda and salt;whisk and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter,syrup,sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the extract if using and eggs;beat until combined. Add the flour mixture and beat just until combined. Add in the oats and cranberries and mix with a large wooden spoon.

Drop by tablespoons full onto sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake 7-10 minutes or until cookies are a golden brown. Cool for 3 mins before removing to wire rack.

To make the glaze combine all the ingredients and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. You can either drizzle the glaze over with a spoon or dip the tops into the glaze.

** The original recipe says to drop golf ball sized portions of dough onto the cookie sheet. I was unable to get the middle of the cookies to bake all the way through when using that much dough. I slightly cut back and still came away with really large cookies but they were baked all the way through. I needed to cook mine slightly over the 10 mins to achieve this**

Yields:2-3 dozen
Source: La Kocinera 




 

3 comments:

Koci said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed these cookies! They're definitely one of my favorite recipes. Being a huge maple fan, I'm very pleased to hear that they do well with maple extract. Yum! :D

a happy little life said...

I'm sorry your Summer has been so yucky! We've been talking about planning a trip to Amsterdam in the next few weeks I hope the weather straightens up!
Cool Fall like weather always puts me in the mood for comfort baked foods and flavors like maple, oatmeal, cinnamon, apples, etc too... and soup... and naps. I'm sending you some of my precious Helsinki sunshine right now!

Sonya said...

Koci..they were awesome and will be made over and over :)

Ooo..Amsterdam is a great place to visit! Im hoping the weather straightens up aswell..I've got plans that require SUN! lol