Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday's In My City...

   

            I finally purchased my very first Dutch bike! Isn't she wonderful! I was scared to death of it when I first saw it. These bikes are the size of a small horse..and I'm not joking. The Dutch are some seriously tall people and those seriously tall people need a horse sized bike to get them around on. This classic bike is called an "Omafiets" wich means Grandma bike! I assure you that the bike is for everyone and not just a grandma :) 

When you first get on the bike you need to push off with the pedal and then quickly sit yourself up on the high bike saddle..I fell over twice when trying to attempt this. One you get up there you feel like a high riding queen looking down on all the small people. You sit up straight and you get this bitchy attitude about yourself when you are on there :) Infact I've named her " Elmira Gulch"..for you non loving Wizard of Oz fans, thats the name of the Wicked Witch of the West. 

Elmira has taken me on some serious bike rides over the last 7 days. I've biked enough to lose 7 pounds and Elmira and I have tons of plans for the summer. I'm so lucky to be living in a country that is more bike friendly than most. If you tag me while in a car you are in deep doo doo. I've got the same rights as a car almost and can actually go more places by bike than I can a car. However biking here means you seriously need to know your rules and who you need to yield to and when. So for now I stick to the country roads until I feel comfortable enough to hit the main streets.

You can totally pimp out your bike aswell. Soon I will have a basket on the front and side saddle bags on the back. Those come in handy when biking to the store for a few things. You stick the stuff in your side saddles and you are good to go. Now just imagine that bike with a child seat not only in the back but also the front! I am in awe of Dutch mothers. I can barely bike without looking like a drunken fool and here they are biking around with two kids strapped in there plus groceries in their saddle bags. I've seen people moving a couch with bikes and at christmas time you can see them biking around with giant packages on the back and sometimes they are holding on to another large one while stearing. As we get further into summer I will share more experiences with Elmira and all the wonderful things we see :) Head on over to Unknown Mami and see what she and everyone else is up to this sunday! Also I am using this post on Communal Global's Tuesday's Around The World. If you've never stopped by there, you really need to. It's a wonderful group of women from all over the world who share a photo each day of their life. I'm so proud to be a member there :)


Unknown Mami