Wednesday, June 22, 2011

One-Bowl Yellow Cake

           
                   I think yellow cake has got to be the ultimate birthday cake. I can remember as a kid getting the yellow cake with a bunch of chocolate frosting on top and sprinkles :) The cakes we have back home can not be found here. I do see the fondant covered cakes but I'm not much of a fondant fan. So thats why every year since moving here everyone gets to pick their cake that I will bake for them.

This year my now 11 year old picked a yellow cake :) It's actually the first time I have baked one from scratch since becoming a grown up and like most everything else...I can't believe it took me this long! The cake has a real old fashioned taste to it and seriously..all you need is one bowl to mix the batter up..how easy is that? I used a simple chocolate malt frosting on top and made sure to spread it as thin as possible. This cake doesn't deserve to be drowned in a mound of frosting. It's so amazing on its own.

Yellow Cake

2 cups All-Purpose Flour,sifted
1-1/4 cups Sugar
1 TBS Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Butter,softened
1 cup Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 Eggs

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans.

In a large mixing bowl,sift flour,sugar,baking powder and salt. Add butter, milk and vanilla. Beat with a hand mixture on medium speed for 2 minutes and scraping the sides down as needed. Add eggs, beat for 2 more minutes.

Divide batter equally into prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted towards the middle comes out clean.

Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn out and cool completely on wire racks. Frost with choice of frosting; chocolate, malt frosting,cream cheese, or nothing at all!

Yields:6-9
Source: Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice