Thursday, June 16, 2011

Almond Joy Muffins

 
            Wow..where has this week gone? I've been knee deep in batter that last few days and now I'm knee deep in laundry in preperation for overnight school field trips that my two sons are going on. My youngest turned 11 on monday and I will be posting the cake recipe in the next day or so. I can't believe how quickly time goes by now. I look at them and can still picture their tiny little hands and feet that I stared at for hours when they were born. Time needs to stand still for awhile so that I can catch my breath!

As usual I needed to send in something for my husband's co-workers. Each week I try and bake something with each person in mind..and this week I am satisfying the coconut chocolate fan with these seriously awesome muffins. It's an almond joy in muffin form. They are super moist,addictive and my favorite way to eat them is while they are still warm. I have a feeling this guy is going to be adding these to his birthday baking list that I am catering for. I thought I was going to bake a cake for him but he wants bars and cookies and cupcakes and muffins :)

Almond Joy Muffins

2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 TBS Baking Powder
1/2 cup Butter, softened
3/4 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
3/4 cup Milk
1 tsp. Coconut Extract
1 cup Mini Chocolate Chips

Streusel Topping:

1/4 cup Sweetened Coconut
5 TBS Sugar
2 TBS Butter, Cubed
2 tsp. Cocoa
5 TBS Flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees or 200 celcius. Line muffin tin with liner or spray with nonstick spray;set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder;set aside.

In another bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar. Add the eggs, extract and milk; mix until combined. Gently stir the wet ingredients into the flour mixtur just until combined. Gently mix in the chocolate chips. Fill muffin tin two-thirds full with batter.

To make streusel topping: Combine all the ingredients using a fork or your fingers to form a sandy crumb mixture. Sprinkle tops of the muffin batter with topping. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to wire rack. Serve warm or cooled.

** I went ahead and added in 1/2 cup of shredded coconut to the batter to up the coconut flavor even more for the person I was baking these for**

Yields: 24 Muffins
Source: Eat At Home