Friday, May 27, 2011

Coconut Chocolate Chip-Walnut Bars

             I swear I don't serve my family only sweets. I do cook! I have a list of recipes I need to post on here but I always seem to grab the baking ones! I've been busy using our new grill and loving it!! I'm really digging veggie kabobs at the moment :)

I needed to quickly whip something up for my husbands work meeting this week and went with these! I love the ease of bars. You spread it in a pan,bake,cool,cut and enjoy! The secret to these bars is the coconut pudding mix you add in :) pudding mix really makes a cookie or a bar super moist. In truth you could go with any pudding mix. I played around with the original recipe by swapping out the pistachio pudding,adding in coconut pudding,coconut extract, adding in chopped walnuts..because seriously walnuts and chocolate go hand in hand in my book and I'm happy to say these are an A++ recipe in our house!

Coconut Chocolate-Walnut Bars

2-1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup Unsalted Butter;softened
1/2 cup + 1/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar..light or dark is fine
1/4 cup Sugar
1 (3.4 ounce pkg) instant coconut pudding mix
2 Eggs,room temp
1/2 tsp. Coconut Extract
1 cup Chopped Walnuts
2 cups Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a 13x9 inch pan with foil,making sure to extend the sides for easy lifting when removing the bars;spray with nonstick spray...For thicker bars you can use a 9x9 inch pan..wich is what I used. You will need to increase the baking time but not by much. 

In a large bowl,sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl with a mixer, beat the butter and sugars together on medium speed until light and fluffy..about 3-5 minutes. Add the pudding mix and beat until blended. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the coconut extract. 

Stop the mixer and add in a small amount of flour. On low speed, beat just until the streaks have disappeared. Slowly add in the remaining flour. Using a large wooden spoon, stir in the chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. Spread the dough into prepared pan, making it as evenly as possible. I ended up spraying my hands with nonstick spray and spreading the dough out that way.

Bake 15-25 mins with a 13x9 pan or until toothpick inserted towards the middle comes out with only a few moist crumbs. If using a 9x9 pan like I did,start checking for doneness after 25 mins. I used a silicone pan and mine was done at 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow the pan to cool on a wire rack. When bars have cooled down, lift them out by using the foil handles. Cut and serve :)

Yields: Depends on pan and cutting size
Source: Une Gamine dans la Cuisine