Friday, May 20, 2011

Chocolate Amaretto Cupcakes

          I'm officially a mother of a teenager..Wow..just wow. I'm 36 with a 13 year old! It doesn't seem possible. The numbers don't lie though. Every year I whip out the baby books for the boys on their birthdays and we go through the whole day together. They know the stories by heart and they love to tell me the important ones as if they remember it themselves...but they beg me to tell them again. Jacob will say "So what happened again when I was born?" and I say "You screamed and screamed until they handed you over to me. I whispered in your ear that it was ok becasue your mama was here. You stopped crying after that and we just stared at eachother for the longest time" Liam says he wants his story next month when it's his birthday. I am so amazed how fast time is going now. I can't seem to keep up and I am grasping at every single moment I can. I love watching them grow and learn..but it's going to fast. I want to hit the stop button on the clock for awhile. I really wish I could.
     The boys are allowed to take in home baked treats to their class on their birthday. Jacob wanted to take in these chocolate amaretto cupcakes. I wasn't able to get the amaretto so I went with the substitution they gave of almond extract in the frosting. These cupcakes were super moist and fluffy and the frosting was creamy delicious..not to sweet at all. I will be back tomorrow with the cake he picked out :)

Chocolate amaretto Cupcakes

1-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
3/4 cup unsweetened Cocoa powder
2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1-1/4 cups Sugar
4 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
3/4 cup Milk


Frosting:


3/4 cup Milk
1/4 cup All-purpose Flour
3/4 cup Butter,softened
3-1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 TBSP Amaretto or 1/2 tsp Almond Extract


Topping:


1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips,coarsely chooped
1/4 cup Chocolate Syrup


Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Place cupcake liners into 24 muffin cups and set aside.


In a medium bowl, mix flour, the cocoa, baking soda and salt;set aside. In a large bowl, beat oil and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about 1/3 at a time, and 3/4 cup milk, about 1/2 at a time, beating just until combined.


Divide batter evenly among cups, filling about 2/3 full. Bake foil lined cupcakes 13-17 minutes, paper-lined cupcakes 14-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes, remove from pans to cooling racks to cool.


To make frosting: In a 1- quart saucepan, cook and stir the milk and the flour with a whisk over medium heat until thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool completely,about one hour.


In a medium bowl, beat butter and powdered sugar with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Add cooled milk mixture; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in amaretto or almond extract. Add additional powdered sugar,if neessary, to achieve your desired spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes and top each one with chopped up chocolate chips and chocolate syrup.


Yields: 24 cupcakes
Source: Betty Crocker The Big Book of Cupcakes