Monday, May 2, 2011

Cheesecake Squares

        It's been awhile since I posted a recipe of any kind. I go through periods where I will make something new almost everyday and then my family starts asking for old favorites so I take a break for a little while. I've got several new recipes to post this week so stayed tuned for those!

First up we have these cheesecake bars. I am a serious cheesecake freak..serious freak. I am also a purist when it comes to my cheesecake. I want it plain and so thick the cheesecake sticks to the roof of your mouth. Everyone is different though and this recipe is for those who want a lighter cream cheese taste. I whipped these up for my husband's weekly meeting last week and they went over great. I wasn't a fan of the crust and thought that it overpowered the light cream cheese taste. I was the only one with that opinion though because everyone seemed to love the chocolate/walnut combo with the cream cheese!

Cheesecake Squares

1 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
3 TBL Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Cold Butter;diced
1 Egg Yolk
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 cup Finley chopped Walnuts

Filling:

1-8 ounce package Cream Cheese,softened
1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 TBL all purpose Flour
2 tsp. Grated Orange Peel
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 Egg
1 Egg White
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract

Preheat overn to 325 or 160/170 celcius.Line a 9 inch square baking pan with foil and allow the foil to extend over the side to use at handles later on; grease the foil with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the egg yolk, vanilla and walnuts. Press onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes.

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the sour cream, flour, orange peel and salt. Beat in egg, egg white and vanilla on low speed just until combined.

Pour over warm crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour.

Refrigerate overnight. Using foil, lift out of the pan and either remove the foil at that point or cut into 1-inch squares.. making sure to remove the foil after that. Store in airtight container in fridge.

Yields: About 2 Dozen

Source: Taste of Home